• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nyrhinen

OpenGL 2D programming in OpenGL

This topic is 4152 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is a shortie, but I've heard that using the third dimension in 2D OpenGL programs isn't so great thing and I had a bookmark to a site which had useful information about 2D opengl programming. But I lost it! :) Any good sources for 2D opengl help?

Advertisement
Check the following link:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=104791

I'm currently doing some 2D opengl project and it works well. One major problem that you could run into is when doing too much animation using textures only. Drawing a full screen animation, even at 30 FPS, will take out alot of texture memory. It really depends on what your needs are though, but a 2D project in opengl will allow you to do hardware transparency, scaling, rotating. Plus you can spice it up as much as you want later on by adding a particle system or any other 3D effects mixed in with your 2D.

Cheers,

Shadx

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!