Sign in to follow this  
Iarus

Game Resource Archives

Iarus    173
I'd like to have some suggestion about some free game resource archives libraries. Something like the Dungeon Siege resource archive (.dsres) or the Quake archive,... something like that but free to use in my game and hopefully easy to use. I'd like something that can store files structured in folders like
|-art
||-textures
| |-monsters
|  |-troll.jpg
|
|-sounds
||-weapons
|||-sword_swing.wav
||
||-monsters
| |-troll_die.wav
|
|-templates
 |-monsters
  |-troll.template
and then
myArchive.Open("templates/monsters/troll.template");
I've found lots of article and info on how to build your own (I'm not interested in building my own, I'm not good enough at this kind of low level programming), or what is the structure of archive X (I'm not interested in "hacking" one), but not much info about complete solution that is optimized, work well and fast, and I found no discussion that compare 2 or more libraries. Sadly Google cannot read minds yet and I'm having trouble finding the right keywords for what I'm looking for (since I don't really know what I'm looking for). I'm sure this topic as already been discussed before, but I can't find it. I just found this list, but it does not compare them or tell me what they do exactly. This sort of stuff is kinda complicated for me, witch is why I' asking for help. Thank's [EDIT]Language C#[/EDIT] [Edited by - Iarus on March 4, 2007 6:22:38 PM]

xDan    194
I haven't tried it, but if I *was* going to, i'd try http://icculus.org/physfs/ which is on that list you posted.

From the tutorial, http://icculus.org/physfs/physfstut.txt, it seems easy enough.

Since you didn't say what language i'm assuming c++.

Ravuya    135
I've also seen people use zziplib on top of zlib.

Also, I think C# has some built in stuff in the crypto API for reading from packages. Pouya used it for his game.

Alpha_ProgDes    6935
hint:

<archive>
<art>
<textures>
<monsters>
<troll.jpg />
</monsters>
</textures>
</art>

<sounds>
<weapons>
<sword_swing.wav />
</weapons>

<monsters>
<troll_die.wav />
</monsters>
</sounds>

<templates>
<monsters>
<troll.template />
</monsters>
</templates>
</archive>

Iarus    173
why does everyone always say XML to solve everything?
and how do you store a .wav or an .x file in there?

don't worry I'll use XML in some places in my project, but not everywhere!

beebs1    398
IMHO, I'd agree with xDan, but writing your own isn't really too hard. I believe the Irrlicht engine has a set of file system classes, and it's open source so you can look over the code. I've not used them personally, but IIRC it's stable and fast. Maybe something to consider?

Clicky

Alpha_ProgDes    6935
Quote:
Original post by Iarus
why does everyone always say XML to solve everything?
and how do you store a .wav or an .x file in there?

don't worry I'll use XML in some places in my project, but not everywhere!

It's not because XML is great, but because .NET uses XML heavily to move data around. And don't worry, it will be used even more in Vista and Vista APIs.