Normals in a pixel shader

Started by
10 comments, last by Namethatnobodyelsetook 17 years, 1 month ago
In a pixel shader, how can you integrate normal processing into the color outputted on the screen? I tried using some examples from the sdk where you take the dot product between the light direction and the normal and multiply the color by that scalar but my terrain always comes out black and the dot product always seems to be zero. Could anyone tell me the correct way to do this?
Advertisement
Can you paste the shader that you have written, it is impossible to see what you are doing wrong otherwise.

Dave
You should check that you're taking the negated dot product between the light direction and normal, since dot products are only >0 when the vectors are facing the same direction.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Okay, here it is. It seems kinda simple to me, but this was in an sdk example:

PS_OUTPUT ps_main( in PS_INPUT In ){    PS_OUTPUT Out;    //Texture splatting vars    float4 splat = tex2D(Tex1, In.Texture/32.0/2.0-0.5);    float4 s2;    float4 s3;    //Texture splatting    Out.Color = tex2D(Tex0, In.Texture)*(1.0-splat[0]-splat[1]);    s2 = tex2D(Tex2, In.Texture) * splat[0];    Out.Color += s2;    s3 = tex2D(Tex3, In.Texture) * splat[1];    Out.Color += s3;    //Normals    Out.Color.rgb *= dot(LightDir,In.Normal);    return Out;}
Quote:Original post by skittleo
You should check that you're taking the negated dot product between the light direction and normal, since dot products are only >0 when the vectors are facing the same direction.

Even negating it it is black. Thats why I thought it was 0.
Can you post the whole shader. We can't see if the vertex shader is passing the correct data down. We can't see if you're using a ps.1.1 target (which doesn't allow negative numbers to be passed from vs to ps).
I put in a test normal that I set in the pixel shader and it worked quite well, but when I use the PS_INPUT structure the normals seem to all be zero which makes me think that they are not being sent to the pixel shader correctly. I know they work b/c it's fine in fixed function so I looked at my vertex declaration. I don't see anything wrong with it but you might:

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 decl[] = {{0,		0,		D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3,		D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT,		D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION,		0},		{0,		12,		D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3,		D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT,		D3DDECLUSAGE_NORMAL,		0},		{0,		24,		D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT2,		D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT,		D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD,		0},		D3DDECL_END()};

and this is my vertex structure:

typedef struct {	float x,y,z;	float nx,ny,nz;	FLOAT u, v;} sVertex;

and the FVF

#define VertexFVF (D3DFVF_XYZ | D3DFVF_NORMAL | D3DFVF_TEX1)
FVF codes are used with the fixed function pipeline only, not with the programmable pipeline (aka vertex/pixel shaders)
If you're calling SetFVF() before your draw call, it may create conflict (I'm not too sure about what problems it could cause but I'm sure you cant use FVF with shaders)
Also, when the result of a rendering call does not give the expected result, one of the first thigs you want to do is turn DirectX i to debug mode with maximum output and validation. Have you tried this yet ?

Edited. Sorry from the wrng info.

[Edited by - janta on March 5, 2007 10:13:29 AM]
Okay, thanks. I have done it before, I can't seem to remember how to set directx to debug :(
It is in the start menu forlder for the sdk ->Utilities...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement