Deleting Threads/posts & Adding Images

Started by
3 comments, last by jbadams 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering how do you add Images next to your name? What is a profile signature? Also how do I delete posts/threads that I have created? Thanks
Advertisement
I think the image next to your name (usually called an avatar) is for GDNet+ members (think there's a fee involved, sorta a reward for helping to fund the site, but I may be wrong).

A signature is a line of text that allways displays at the end of your post. Most people put some sort of quote they like, though remember that since it appears at the bottom of every post you make, you should keep it short.

If you want to delete a post/thread you just click the 'edit' button on the post (next to the 'quote' button) and i think theres a tick box to delete. Usually, however, you don't want to delete a post unless it was a double post. Same goes for threads really. Don't feel you should delete a thread you make once the problem you had has been resolved, since other users may wish to search the forum for help with the same problem.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the quick response. I have another quick question:
Where can the signature be setup? I had a look at my profile but couldn't find anyplace to edit/create my signature.
click 'control panel' (next to the picture of a cog).

on the left is a set of links. under 'general' click 'change profile'. then you can set up your profile information, including your sig.
Quote:Original post by Winegums
I think the image next to your name (usually called an avatar) is for GDNet+ members (think there's a fee involved, sorta a reward for helping to fund the site, but I may be wrong).
Correct, the display picture is one of a number of additional features (developer journals, some web hosting, etc.) provided to GDNet+ members in exchange for supporting the site. You can read more about the features offered here if you're interested.

Quote:A signature is a line of text that allways displays at the end of your post. Most people put some sort of quote they like, though remember that since it appears at the bottom of every post you make, you should keep it short.
Close - it only appears if you also check the "check here to include your profile signature" box at the bottom of the post. The forums were intentionally designed so that the box must be checked by hand each time you post because in general people are here to read the actual content rather than a signature; as a bit of a self-imposed rule I tend to only include mine in my first reply to any given thread, or if I refer to it in the body of my post. You can edit your signature on the change profile page in your control panel. You're able to use some html for formatting but may not include images or scripts.

Quote:If you want to delete a post/thread you just click the 'edit' button on the post (next to the 'quote' button) and i think theres a tick box to delete.
Correct - with the addendum that you're only able to delete threads (by editing and deleting the first post) that you've posted for a short period after another user replies.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement