Converting DOC to RTF in C#

Started by
3 comments, last by Xai 17 years, 1 month ago
Is there any way to convert a DOC file into a RTF file in C# so it can be manipulated in a Rich Text Box control? I can't use the Microsoft Word library because this computer didn't come with Office, it came with Microsoft Works. Also I want to be able to use this application most XP computers so I don't particularly want to use a library like that anyways.
If it's possible for us to conceive it, than it must be possible.
Advertisement
There is no standard / free solution to do this (as far as I know). I believe there are components to do this, but they cost money.

I know that at our company, the customer had DOC files with bookmarks our app needed to process and we just decided it was easier to change the files to RTF using Office 1 time (and get the customer to submit future files in RTF format). You of course may not have this option.
OpenOffice.org has partial support for microsoft word documents and is open source so looking at how they do it might be a good start.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
try downloading the MS Office SDK, perhaps theres a some functions associated with Word, like OpenDocument, SaveDocument( format )
Quote:Original post by rfterdarc
try downloading the MS Office SDK, perhaps theres a some functions associated with Word, like OpenDocument, SaveDocument( format )

I think this post may be right, but if I remember correctly the code in the Office SDK uses the Office components at runtime and therefore the program you create can only work on machines with office installed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement