• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FlatHue

OpenGL DirectDraw or Direct D3D

This topic is 4128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

2 questions: i'm going to start learning how to code 2D games. i need to know if i should start studying directDraw or D3D. and i've never learned API language before, what would someone from this site say would be better Directx or openGL? thanks.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by FlatHue
2 questions:
i'm going to start learning how to code 2D games. i need to know if i should start studying directDraw or D3D.
D3D, definitely. DirectDraw is deprecated - it's not being updated. D3D will let you do a lot of stuff in hardware for "free", such as rotation and colour keying and translucency. You'd have to write your own code to do those with DirectDraw.

Quote:
Original post by FlatHue
and i've never learned API language before, what would someone from this site say would be better Directx or openGL?
thanks.
Whichever you're more comfortable with. DirectX is not just graphics, it also includes input and sound, whereas OpenGL is graphics output only. OpenGL is cross platform, whereas D3D is Windows / XBox only.

Guest Anonymous Poster
DirectDraw is more simple to use than Direct3D. DirectDraw have the same result on all graphic cards... But Direct3D is more powerfull than DirectDraw...

I actually have to contest that DirectDraw is more simple to use. You can do a lot of simple drawing with the same amount of difficulty (maybe a bit less) than Direct3D, but if you want to get into more advanced things like transparency, rotation, etc, you need to start drawing thing manually, which is a lot more complex than Direct3D ever was (oy, I still have nightmares of writing all the drawing routines for drawing between different surface formats).

Direct3D also offers some help with 2D operations via the D3DX helper library, such as a convenient and robust sprite and text interfaces.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!