Sign in to follow this  
Bulhakov

How to get rid of the windows default "ding" on key press?

I wrote an MFC applet in C++ in VS 7.0 that so far was all mouse operated. But now I started adding keyboard support (for moving around in an OpenGL window) and encountered a problem: Whenever I press a key (other than the arrow keys and some other "neutral" keys) I keep hearing the annoying windows default "ding.wav"! I can of course turn it off in the control panel, but I that does not really fix the problem. I'm using GetKeyState on they keys that interest me (AWSD and arrow keys). I'm guessing it's a problem with the focus staying on one of my widgets which sounds the alert when an unsopported keypress is encountered. Any ideas how to fix this?

I don't know anything about this API, but did you try setting the focus onto a widget that supports those keypresses? (Does the window itself count as a widget?)

Well that's the problem. I don't know how to set the focus to my GL window (it's in a Picture Control).

Just clicking on it does not seem to do it (or maybe it does, but the keystrokes still cause the windows alert).

I can disable/remove the ding, but that will not fix this problem on other PCs.

I managed to set the focus to my GL control through:
GetDlgItem(IDC_OPENGL)->SetFocus;
but it still raises the alert when most keys are pressed. (I feel stupid for not reading about the SetFocus earlier. It's just something I never needed before.)

It's sort of annoying to run around a virtual environment and keep hearing a constant "dingdingdingding" (But only when I use the AWSD. The arrow keys don't cause this problem.)

Maybe I can use something to the likes of the KeyPreview property (but it only works for windows forms)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.form.keypreview.aspx

Any further help/advice much appreciated