Sign in to follow this  
Unknown Target

Spherical RTS idea

Here's an idea I had after discussing this thread (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=438056) with Bosch about how to map his sphere properly. Anyway, my idea is this - why not have a sphere as an RTS map, complete with terrain objects, etc. Units can move continuously from one side of the sphere to the other - so the entire "planet" can be viewed at all times, and you can rotate around it, etc. Now here's the interesting bit - in addition to being able to flank your opponents by sending a gaggle of troops around the backside of the sphere, you can also shoot around the sphere, as the game would take into account some ballistic trajectory calculations, line of sight properties, and even gravity. So you could place a tank on top of a tall mountain, and tell it to fire at a point on the other side of the sphere. If you aim right, you can launch a shell from one side all the way to the other, or even put it in orbit. I'm debating as to how unit production would be handled though - I'm thinking either Ground Control style dropships, with multiple landing location zones to capture (although they wouldn't really be relevant on a spherical map), or a more traditional base-building/resourcing strategy. I've never been fond of the latter, though, as it usually devolves into who can resource the most and build the most units for a final tank rush. So a fine balance would have to be achieved that keeps some traditional RTS things (such as base building), while still putting large emphasis on individual units. Anyway, that's my idea.Thoughts? Sorry if it's not the most clear, or has already been suggested :)

I'd say go for it. I've had other ideas similar. For instance allowing players to start on different planets and launching troops over. Then instead of the normal RTS single map, players could build a base on another person's planet.

Quote:
Original post by Unknown Target
Haha, no thanks...I tried to learn how to code in school, nearly broke my brain in half doing it. I suck at math :(
I'm perfectly content sticking to the creative side of game design :D

The problem is that many of us coders like that side as well. :(

(plotting)
We should gang up on this guy and teach him to code.
(/plotting)

On another note, I am the guy he mentioned having talked to in the first post, and I was talking about remaking one of my earlier games which he had not seen. Adding terrain to a spherical map is something I have not tried, but I am sure it is possible, although it might be very difficult. Terrain just doesn't fit well in my games, as they all take place in space (how lame). Still, a spherical RTS with terrain would be pretty cool, but it wouldn't work to have it be on a realistic scale (like, say, earth) because that would mean including tons of detail and millions of objects.

A little bit of history: I first came up with this idea trying to think of a way to wrap the edges of a map without having corners or actual edges where things might split between them. The spheres have worked out great for three games so far, and a fourth is under way.

Quote:
Original post by Daniel Miller
Quote:
Original post by Unknown Target
Haha, no thanks...I tried to learn how to code in school, nearly broke my brain in half doing it. I suck at math :(
I'm perfectly content sticking to the creative side of game design :D

The problem is that many of us coders like that side as well. :(

Hehe :) Well I do 2D and 3D art, so I can make all the game assets necessary :) (Although my texturing skills do need work).
As for the scale...well, there's one of two ways. There's the semi-realistic route, and base the game on asteroids and whatnot (and now that I think about it, why limit it to round objects? Anyone want to command a bunch of troops as they fight it out across the hull of a space station? :D). Then there's the comical, non-serious scale of, say, an entire "planet" scaled down to mini size, and cartoonish units. It would really depend on the mood I was in when I decided, because I think either way has great potential :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Civ 4's map turns into a globe when zooming out. You might take a look at that game.