please help me!!!All The steps to make a game

Started by
29 comments, last by shadowisadog 17 years, 1 month ago
The game part doesn't exist until you program it.

So step one learn how to program...
step two; learn more about programming...
step three; now learn graphics programming...
step four; learn AI programing...
step five; learn how to design a major project...
step six; learn what the next 17 steps are...

theTroll
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by TheTroll

theTroll

Great...Where do i learn that?
Quote:Original post by mihaimmm

theTroll

University, or you can self-study.
Best regards, Omid
Quote:Original post by Omid Ghavami

theTroll

University, or you can self-study.

It must be a easyer way <<repeat i know a little c++>>
easier way than someone teaching you it(university) and learning your self (self-study)?
as far as im concerned this is the only ways for learning anything! id suggest getting some begginners C++ (or another language by your choice) books from amazon, and then some game programming books from same page. To aid you on your journey, reamember to use online tutorials and this site for help. Youll be surprised to see how much this site contains.

for your books see the "book" section (dropdown menu from "Resources".
•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•..•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•. Mads .•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜ ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜I am going to live forever... or die trying!
repeat i know a little c++

How much?
[TheUnbeliever]
Most people who talk about how hard it is to make a game are talking about making something that feels like a REAL game ... but simple little fun toy experiment things can be very very easy and help you actually learn to program.

About 2 weeks after I started learning GW BASIC at 11 years old I made a program that slowly filled in the screen with randomly colored, randomly sized, randomly positioned circles. It was fun. Why did I do it ... I had just found the RAND function and wanted to use it, and the week before I had discovered the draw functions (like, circle, point, etc).

A month or so after that I cam across the play sound feature and decided I write a piece of sheet music from band as a basic program. Took about 3 days just to code all the timings to sound correct, but man it was a fun adventure learning to acomplish something with that kind of feedback.

Then over the summer I sat down and designed and built a simple text-based (this was bearly 20 years ago) Dungeons and Dragons character editor, with character save and load features. It was really hard, but after about 4 months part-time I had this really cool program I liked because I actually used it. And during the writing I learned "real" programming ... with real functions using the GOSUB routine (I didn't know it the first 2 months so my code was a spagetti mess of GOTOs).

Learning to program and make games is about having fun and exploring possiblities. Sure, learning to write a game you can sell is a HUGE undertaking that takes years and years of practice. But making SOMETHING doesn't take any more time that you want it to. Its all about seeing what you can do, and striving for more. Instead of having a goal that is completely unreasonable and being constantly disappointed.

There are many good choices to learn, in C++ you can do the NEHE tutorials and play around. Or you can use C# and maybe XNA to try some fun things. Or perhaps just go to text based stuff for a few months to get your programming skills a little better first. Flash games are a great way to get something visible done quickly even if you are only half a programmer.

Whatever you choose, have fun and good Luck.
I have been a software developer for over 15 years. I know c/c++/c#/java/assembler and a spatering of others. Game programming is still work for me. I have yet to finish my first game. Now I have only been at it for two years now and I am a bit of a profectionist but still it is lot so work. Modern games also most need a team to be done right.

Once you learn a part of the game system you have lots more to learn. The basics of a game; graphics, sound, UI, AI, scripting (if needed), level design, content management, save/load.

Every part of that takes either slightly different or majorly different skills. It is a lot of work.

I have finally found a game that I really want to work on but it will be years most likely before it is done.

theTroll
Quote:Original post by TheUnbeliever
repeat i know a little c++

How much?

Well i know how to make a algoritm<but not in c++ language>. The c ++ language i learn know at school

I am at the c in and c out right know...so i have a lot more to learn....

Some help pls
Well, I don't agree that in University people teach you. They GUIDE you through the process but like always, if you want to be good at anything you really have to learn by yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement