Sign in to follow this  
jetrii

Beginner looking for a push in the right direction.

jetrii    122
Although you probably see dozens of threads like this a day, please bear one more. :D I've been programming, 3D modeling, and drawing for a few years but I've never really tied all these skills together before. I would really appreciate it if someone could answer these questions: 1.) Will Java suffice? Out of all the languages I know (Java, C#, VB, C++), I am most familiar and comfortable with Java. If given an option, I would prefer to stick with Java or C#. 2.) Which game libraries would you recommend for Java? I was planning on using SDL but I'm not sure if it works with Java. The Java port I found it still in beta. Thanks in advance.

Lonelywolf    122
I didn't understand much, but I think the first question has an answer here:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=31

Lonelywolf :-)

Ravuya    135
Quote:
1.) Will Java suffice? Out of all the languages I know (Java, C#, VB, C++), I am most familiar and comfortable with Java. If given an option, I would prefer to stick with Java or C#.
Yes; stick with what you know. Java can use OpenGL and SDL and all the other nice libraries out there if you need a lot of graphics performance.
Quote:
2.) Which game libraries would you recommend for Java? I was planning on using SDL but I'm not sure if it works with Java. The Java port I found it still in beta.
LWJGL and JOGL are popular. I dunno about the progress of any SDL ports.
Quote:
Original post by Lonelywolf
I didn't understand much, but I think the first question has an answer here:
Please don't provide advice if you yourself are a beginner -- it doesn't help.

jetrii    122
Thanks Ravuya. I know Java has advanced a lot in the past few years but the screenshots I've seen practically scare me away...Most of the 3D Java pics look like they belong on the Nintendo 64. I guess I've just been visiting outdated sites.

TheUnbeliever    963
Quote:
Original post by jetrii
Thanks Ravuya. I know Java has advanced a lot in the past few years but the screenshots I've seen practically scare me away...Most of the 3D Java pics look like they belong on the Nintendo 64. I guess I've just been visiting outdated sites.

Java is quite capable - and C# has Managed DirectX (technically deprecated now) and the XNA Framework - both of which are very capable APIs (I mention this just because you listed it as one of your preferences).

jetrii    122
Quote:
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Quote:
Original post by jetrii

Java is quite capable - and C# has Managed DirectX (technically deprecated now) and the XNA Framework - both of which are very capable APIs (I mention this just because you listed it as one of your preferences).

Yea, I was considering C# and XNA since the game is going to be for Windows. Plus, XNA seems pretty nice...

Xai    1848
I have done a little with C# without XNA and like it fine (I actually used OpenGl from Tao, instead of managed DirectX ... but that's just cause I know OpenGl better than Direct3D, no other reason).

I strongly recommend you get 1 or more of the following if you use C#:

1. Managed DirectX (is now abandoned in favor of XNA, but still an easy-to-use well featured wrapper).
2. Tao Framework (cross-platform library wrappers, including OpenGl and OpenAl). www.taoframework.com
3. XNA (the current Microsoft thing for small-time devs, growing community support).

jetrii    122
Quote:
Original post by Xai
I have done a little with C# without XNA and like it fine (I actually used OpenGl from Tao, instead of managed DirectX ... but that's just cause I know OpenGl better than Direct3D, no other reason).

I strongly recommend you get 1 or more of the following if you use C#:

1. Managed DirectX (is now abandoned in favor of XNA, but still an easy-to-use well featured wrapper).
2. Tao Framework (cross-platform library wrappers, including OpenGl and OpenAl). www.taoframework.com
3. XNA (the current Microsoft thing for small-time devs, growing community support).

Thanks Xai but I think I'm going to stick to Java. Just not sure what to use...I heard Crystal Space 4D has a Java wrapper but I've been told that JOGL may be better.

EDIT: Assuming I use JOGL, would the end user have to have JOGL installed on his/her PC or can I bundle it with my game?

[Edited by - jetrii on March 5, 2007 5:57:11 PM]

UltimateWalrus    229
Just a little note on XNA: from what little experience I've had with it so far, I wouldn't recommend it for PC development. It doesn't work with older graphics cards --- and by "older" I mean "older than a year." I got my graphics card about a year and a half ago, but it can't run XNA games because they can't use graphics cards without Pixel Shader 1.1 or higher (and some won't work without Pixel Shader 2.0).

Seems like a great deal if you wanna make 360 games though.

ChrisBorger    134
If you are comfortable with Java, you might want to look into Java3D:
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/

If you are searching for a good Java Game developing book, I can recommend:
"Killer game programming in Java" :
http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/