Sign in to follow this  
Charabis

The IDE and Me

I was curious what people's takes were on the various C++ IDEs out there. More specifically, I'm looking for one with the following features: 1) Available on a variety of platforms. Only ever seen XTools for the Mac tho 2) Inexpensive, defined as under $500. Course a good freebie works too ;) 3) Simple to get OpenGL running for it Those are my big 3, although extra features (Such as size of exe generated and so on) are welcome :) In general terms, I'm looking for an IDE I'm goign to have around for a VERY long time. Also, if there's any C++ IDEs that support other languages as well, please feel free to share!

I actually don't know of a good fit for your needs, but here are some near misses:

1. eclipse. Cross-platform. First-class Java development. Most other languages have plugin support. C++ is OK but not great when I used it 2 years ago (might be better now).

2. Borland C++ Builder. Really it was windows only, but they had Kylix on Linux, so maybe ok, but I don't think there was a Mac version - also don't know if current version is Windows only or not.

3. Code::Blocks. Don't know its quality or anything, but it seems to be the free, cross-platform C++ IDE people beginners on game dev use most.

If you find a good one, let me know.

Two good freebies are Code::Blocks and Visual C++ Express Edition. I know that Code::Blocks has templates for OpenGL projects but OpenGL is easy to get going in either IDE. Your first requirement knocks out Visual Studio Express but Code::Blocks runs on others I believe.

Code::Blocks is great. I used it exclusively on Windows before I got my free copy of Visual Studio Standard from MS.

Quote:
Original post by Charabis
Those are my big 3, although extra features (Such as size of exe generated and so on) are welcome :)

The size of generated executables has nothing to do with the IDE, but with the compiler.

I recommend Code::Blocks. It is free, easy to use, and cross-platform. It also supports many C++ compilers, so you can use for example MSVC's compiler for Windows, gcc for linux etc.