Browser-based MMORPG

Started by
25 comments, last by Hodgman 17 years, 1 month ago
"PHP, HTML, MySQL and &#106avascript would not work for an MMORPG"
"the concept of a MMORPG being browser based simply *doesn't make any sense*"
*cough*
http://games.swirve.com/UTOPIA/
*cough*

I'm actually working on a graphical browser-based "MORTSRPG" using xhtml/css/&#106avascript(client side) and php/mysql/c++(server side) in my spare time (every third weekend). It's a big job, but it is possible.<br><br>Theres plenty of non-graphical MMORPGs &#111;n the net, like the &#111;ne I posted above, and theres quite a few MMORTS games that are using google-maps for visualisation, or their own &#106avascript rendering engine (like hyperion does).<br><br><br>If you want to go ahead with this project, I recommend you first make a non-graphical &#111;ne (like the MMO's hosted at swirve.com), and dont try to make it an MMO, just make an MO ;)<br><br>After you've succeeded in making a basic non-graphical MO, then you will have a good grasp &#111;n all the technologies you need and will have learned lots of lessons from the mistakes you will have inevitably made, then you can safely move &#111;n to actually making a graphical presentation layer for a MORPG in a browser.
Advertisement
When you upgrade, you can grab XCode. I could swear there's an older one that would work on OS 9 called ProjectBuilder, but I could be wrong as to the OS requirement on it.
My name is "Todd". Drop the "T" and it explains sooooooo much! :P
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
"PHP, HTML, MySQL and &#106avascript would not work for an MMORPG"
"the concept of a MMORPG being browser based simply *doesn't make any sense*"
*cough*
http://games.swirve.com/UTOPIA/
*cough*

I'm actually working on a graphical browser-based "MORTSRPG" using xhtml/css/&#106avascript(client side) and php/mysql/c++(server side) in my spare time (every third weekend). It's a big job, but it is possible.<br><br>Theres plenty of non-graphical MMORPGs &#111;n the net, like the &#111;ne I posted above, and theres quite a few MMORTS games that are using google-maps for visualisation, or their own &#106avascript rendering engine (like hyperion does).<br><br><br>If you want to go ahead with this project, I recommend you first make a non-graphical &#111;ne (like the MMO's hosted at swirve.com), and dont try to make it an MMO, just make an MO ;)<br><br>After you've succeeded in making a basic non-graphical MO, then you will have a good grasp &#111;n all the technologies you need and will have learned lots of lessons from the mistakes you will have inevitably made, then you can safely move &#111;n to actually making a graphical presentation layer for a MORPG in a browser.<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>Utopia isn't a mmo in the traditional sense though, it doesn't have any direct interaction between players thus the way it works is closer to traditional play by email games, <br><br>It does have a massive number of players though but with &#111;nly indirect interaction between players and a limited number of actions/day for each player they quite effectivly sidestep the technical problems.<br><br>The few web-based games i've seen that have featured direct interaction between players have been unable to support a massive playerbase (simply because of the massive bandwidth overhead required by the HTTP protocol).<br><br>
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:Original post by SimonForsman
Utopia isn't a mmo in the traditional sense though, it doesn't have any direct interaction between players thus the way it works is closer to traditional play by email games

Actually, since you mention it, I recall *several* such games from the late 90s (well, I didn't go to look at Utopia, but I assume I have a fairly good idea now that my memory is jogged :) ). Typically they would be heavily inspired by old BBS games such as Falcon's Eye, Barren Realms Elite etc. But this stuff predates even the common use of the term "MMORPG", even if it technically fulfills the requirements (except maybe the "role-playing" part - well, I don't know; some people get into this stuff more than others...). :s
There was once a browser based "RPG" I used to play called BlackNova (www.blacknova.net) which is OpenSource. It's written in PHP/SQL. Try it out.
Well thank you everyone for your "help", telling me I just can't make a browser-based MMORPG, then evocating some games you used to play. Meanwhile I improved my game : http://karabir.exen.fr/ - and I hope some of you will try it out and tell me what they think.

Thanks
Quote:Original post by Orteil
Well thank you everyone for your "help", telling me I just can't make a browser-based MMORPG, then evocating some games you used to play.

Sorry Orteil, I started pointing out browser-based-MMOs so that people would stop telling you that BBMMOs don't make sense.
Unfortunately I can't read French so I don't think I can try out your game :|

Quote:Original post by SimonForsman
Utopia isn't a mmo in the traditional sense though, it doesn't have any direct interaction between players thus the way it works is closer to traditional play by email games,

It does have a massive number of players though but with only indirect interaction between players and a limited number of actions/day for each player they quite effectivly sidestep the technical problems.

Its online and has a massive number of players, on top of that, there is a lot of direct communication (dialogue) between players involving role-play.
In my books that makes it an MMORPG (or MMOTBSRPG) :P

As for not being able to directly interact with other players, theres a lot of politics, foreign aid, etc... So it depends on what you class "direct interaction" as - to me this is more of an RPG than most games that call themselves RPGs because of they way you interact.
But if you want to directly attack your fellow players, you can play Swirve's other MMO - earth (a MMOTBS).
Also, theres another game simmilar to Earth, called TEQ (playteq.com) that doesnt have 'action points' that restrict your actions per day, it is actually a true RTS or non-graphical-browser-based-MMORTS if you like ;)

If anyone's interested in these web-based MMO's, you might wanna check out the semi-graphical Urban Dead (http://urbandead.com/screenshot.html).
Also, hyperion is has quite a lot of graphics, but I can't remember the URL...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement