Sign in to follow this  
Valors

FBOs and Multisampling

I am currently working with FBOs and trying to learn more about them, however I am having trouble finding more information on whether or not it is possible to perform Multisampling with FBOs. If it is possible does anyone have an example about how to go about setting this up? Thanks!

As I understand it you use the EXT_framebuffer_multisample extension to make a render buffer that you then attach to your framebuffer object. This render buffer can have a floating point format allowing for HDR + multisampling. You also attach a texture (floating point if you want HDR) to your frame buffer object. When you draw your scene you do so into your multisample render buffer. You can then use the EXT_framebuffer_blit extension to copy the multisample renderbuffer into the texture you also attached to your frame buffer object. The multisamples are resolved to single samples during this copy.

Once the image is a normal texture you can do whatever you want with it, perhaps writing it to the screen with an exposure shader or something else.