using return value of one function for parameter of another

Started by
4 comments, last by loachman 17 years, 1 month ago
Hello. How can I use the return value of one function as a parameter of another function. Like If I have a function that asks for the number of bicycles and returns that as an int. How can I use that returned int as a parameter for another function?

int numBicycles(){
   int numBikes;
   cout << "Please enter the number of bicycles ";
   cin >> numBikes;
}

int thisWontWork(int numBikes){
    //processing code using numBikes
    //like a loop or whatnot
}

Advertisement
The function that is being used as an argument must return a value for it to work. In your case, numBicycles() is defined as returning an integer, but your definition has no return statement.

int numBicycles(){   int numBikes;   cout << "Please enter the number of bicycles ";   cin >> numBikes;   return numBikes;}

...would pass numBikes as the argument for your thisWontWork(int) function.
Thanks. I was actually using a return statement just forgot to include that. It still wont work even with the return statement though.
Quote:Original post by loachman
Hello. How can I use the return value of one function as a parameter of another function. Like If I have a function that asks for the number of bicycles and returns that as an int. How can I use that returned int as a parameter for another function?

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Two ways:

1. Save the returned value of a function in a variable and pass the variable:

int ReturnSomething(){ return 12;}void PassSomething(int variable){ cout << "You passed " << variable << "; YAY!" << endl;}void main(){ int X; X = ReturnSomething(); PassSomething(X);}

2. Put the function where you would pass a variable to another function. When the program gets to that part, it will run the passed-in function and take whatever it returns and pass that in automatically.

int ReturnSomething(){ return 12;}void PassSomething(int variable){ cout << "You passed " << variable << "; YAY!" << endl;}void main(){ PassSomething( ReturnSomething() );}

Keep in mind that the variable/function types need to be matching (unless you cast from one type to another but judging from your question I am guessing you have no idea about that). In case you don't know, the "void" type of a function does not return any value.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Thanks that's almost got me there. This is for homework so I can't really post my real code.Actually my second function is returning an int too.But I get the error

function does not take 1 arguments

When I have only 1 parameter in fact.
Nevermind I got it working thanks alot for the help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement