Sign in to follow this  
alieninvestor

speed tree - speed character

alieninvestor    122
i don't know any specifics of speedtree, but would the benefits be worth the time spent to develop a "speedy" character/organic form generation tool? ideally, this would also replace speedtree completely for foliage rendering and would not be entirely procedural unless necessary. i imagine it as a design tool that naturally "grows" anything needed and does the work of optimizing its render time. characters and objects are then completely customizable per polygon and life is good. i'm sure software like this has been pursued, but since this would eliminate external modelling/animation applications, it'd be a lot of work to make it as functional as it needs to be. so yeah. it's an idea.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
This is a very weird comparison for me. Speed character in the speed tree sense, would mean your building a 3rd party API for rendering character models - one that renders very many realistically. If you are thinking about a tool to generate characters, there are many available int he 3d modeling scene. Some examples are: poser, character studio, ect.. If this is not what you are talking about, then maybe something like Spore is what you mean - where you add limbs and the creature figures out how to walk convincingly, ect.. Either way - the camparision to speedtree is probably not what you mean. Can you elaborate on your idea/question?

alieninvestor    122
spore is the better comparison. euphoria is another point of reference, though, as i'm sure many other technologies are. but the idea is to have a tool that creates the most render-optimized characters and other organic objects. i guess that lod and culling methods probably take care of that to the point that a little bit more optimization wouldn't make much of a difference, but that's really what i'm asking.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
You still want artists to tweak the data so it wouldn't really be like speedtree at all. Really, there are dozens of companies that write this sort of stuff already, you really want to take on the big boys?

lungdisc    100
I'm interested in this too.

Is there a software that can create 3d models (human characters or animals) as easily as speed tree creates vegetation ?