Sign in to follow this  
Dark Star

Guidelines on developing GUI components

Hi Gamedev, I was wandering if anyone knew of any documentation or guidelines on creating GUI components like buttons, radios, listboxes etc. I know that components have been written so many times and it's always best to use a well designed, well used library that already exists, but for my purposes I need to create my own set and need to know if anything can guide me on how one can create a GUI frame work of some sorts. Thanks DarkStar UK

Which platform? Which language? Can you use native components?

If all you have available is actual hardware, then you'll first need to invent frame buffer, line drawing algorithm, fill algorithm, controller input library and so on.

If you're building on top of an existing graphics framework, you need to look what that can do. Is it raster or vector device? What kind of operations does it support? How will you receive input.

If you're building on top of existing component toolkit, then there will be documentation on how to start with the simplest one and do your custom rendering and event handling.

And do these guidelines refer to visual style or UI framework software design?

Im using Flash which has its own graphics api, that's no big deal. Im looking more on how you code components on a higher level. Not low level like rasterisation, or frame buffers

DarkStar
UK