Good Sites For Porting To CE

Started by
2 comments, last by Rasterman 17 years ago
I have an app written for Windows XP that I want to port over to Windows CE. Does anyone know of a good web site where I can find some information? Thanks!
Advertisement
It really depends on too many factors to have a single "How to port" web page. There are general bits of information scattered around the web that can help with specific parts of porting. If you have specific issues to address we will be better able to offer help.

The biggest questions will be about your fundamental design.

How is your application designed? If it is tightly coupled without the handheld port in mind, you may discover that you will need a near-complete rewrite. If your code is modular and very loosely coupled with the UI, it could be a pleasantly easy experience.

Are you using C++? Managed C++? C#? Are you using native windows or .NET Forms? These are progressively easier to port to WinCE. If you are using .NET, the version you are using may also be a factor in how easy it is to port.

Are the OS features you are trying to use directly available on your target platform? If your app relies on audio and graphics like most games do, individual pieces of functionality may not be present on the target device. There are libraries, such as the Hekkus Sound System that offer great audio support on handhelds. (The HSS is not free, but he has a generous license and a few simple steps for no-cost use.) Full screen graphics through DirectX on the PC are quite different than those on handhelds. Windows Mobile 5 makes it a little easier to port those, but it can still be a complex transition.
In my experience, it's way more hard to port from windows to windowsce rather to start from stratch. .NET Compact frameworks is very limited in functions and usually you will find searching a alternate route to do some task.

Also the memory limitations (256mb-512mb plus virtual memory vs 32mb-64 shared memory of a handheld device), the screen limitation and the "no-mouse-pointer" limitation didn't help for a "easy port".

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
porting is not hard at all from xp, almost every function from the win32 api is available on ce. some good sites:

pocketmatrix.com/forums
pocketpcdn.com
gapidraw.com
hekus library

ce 5.0 now uses directx, but i would still use gapi as there are a ton of older devices still out there. i started with phantoms ce tutorials on flipcode.com, even though the site was shutdown long ago they should still be there i think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement