Path/Rail Camera system. God of War.

Started by
2 comments, last by relsoft 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi guys, we want to implement a camera system for indoor scenaries in our 3rd person game. The idea is to do something similar to God of War, a camera attached to one or more paths/rails and make it follow the player always linked to that path. One idea would be to make it as it were attached to the player by a string/solid and make the player drag that camera. Have you ever implemented something like that or can point me to some interesting essays? Best regards! Rob
Advertisement
Doesn't really seem that hard to me; I'd imagine you'd define some sort of CameraPath entities in a line.

Then use the formula to get the closest point on a line to position it, and point the camera at the player character.
The camera runs a script, follows a path, focus on the player and the action. It's all pretty easy to do, there is no real magic in it :) Putting the camera on a spring would be a bit strange. What you can do is stuff like find the point on the path the clsoest to the player, or to the focal point, then move the camera there, while keeping the player in the field of view (zoom out), ... It's all up to you.

Everything is better with Metal.

This might be useful to you.
simple camera
Hi.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement