Sign in to follow this  
Kuro

Tools for creating sidescrollers

Hi, I'm working on a sidescroller type game with standard sidescroller elements like terrain, moving platforms, etc, except with a little 2D physics engine for simulating more advanced things like ropes, accurate vehicle physics, crates you can kick around, etc. Right now I've got a simple prototype running on PC, and hoping to get the green light from a publisher to develop it into an actual game on a console or mobile platform. Currently, levels are created through code, painfully specifying the position of each element, then compiling to see if it looks right, etc. (e.g. CreateVerticalHoverPlatform(x, y)). If this project turns into an actual game though, then I'm going to need some sort of tool. I could write a level editor, but I imagine that there must be some really good tools for this sort of thing out there these days. So, does anyone know any good tools related to making 2D games and/or side scrollers which might be useful? I have used torque game builder a bit but I haven't used its level design tools so I'm not sure if those are any good. As far as budget, anything $5,000 or less would be ideal. (Free stuff would be great too as long as it doesn't have any restrictive licensing like non-commercial only projects) Any ideas would greatly be appreciated! Thanks, Kuro

Thanks a lot guys.. Yeah I am thinking about just writing the level editor from scratch- like you said it's not that hard, but then again 2D sidescrollers are so common, it's hard to imagine that there aren't some free/cheap tools out there that can help save some programmer time.

DrEvil, wow you made OmniBots? I love OmniBots! (<- big ET fan) Anyway thanks for the heads up, I'll investigate TGB's level editor a bit more.

Kuro