Sign in to follow this  
browny

few questions on DX --

Following are my questions 1. Is there any way to turn off texturing globally, something similar to glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D). Basically im asking if theres any function like mDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_LIGHTING , FALSE ) for textures? 2. Does DirectX have something similar to GL_COLOR_MATERIAL. If a vertex stream has color component in it and if lighting is enabled.. will those color component be used in the lighting calculation without any D3DMATERIAL9 being set ? Z

Quote:
Original post by browny
Following are my questions

1. Is there any way to turn off texturing globally, something similar to glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D). Basically im asking if theres any function like mDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_LIGHTING , FALSE ) for textures?

2. Does DirectX have something similar to GL_COLOR_MATERIAL. If a vertex stream has color component in it and if lighting is enabled.. will those color component be used in the lighting calculation without any D3DMATERIAL9 being set ?

Z

1. Not as far as I know.

2. Set D3DRS_COLORVERTEX to true. Then D3DRS_*MATERIALSOURCE (*=DIFFUSE, SPECULAR, AMBIENT, EMISSIVE) can be used to set if the color comes from material, vertex diffuse, or vertex specular.

Quote:

1. Not as far as I know.

Hmm.. so how do i turn texturing off globally ? Do i have to set NULL to all the texture stages.. like running a loop everytime ?

Quote:
Original post by browny
Quote:

1. Not as far as I know.

Hmm.. so how do i turn texturing off globally ? Do i have to set NULL to all the texture stages.. like running a loop everytime ?
Passing NULL to all the texture stages that are in use is pretty much the only way, yes.

I hope you're not trying to make a D3D device behave like an OpenGL one, because you're likely to run into all sorts of problems by doing it this way.

Actually i am working on a big project which requires the renderer module to be converted from OpenGL to DirectX. So ya, i know these two APIs are entirely different but due the architecture that had already been laid out, i am trying to keep things as closely as possible.