Sleep() problem

Started by
11 comments, last by napacan 17 years, 1 month ago
Hello, in my application I have several meshes that i show them one after another to get an animation. When I do this using keyboard, (by pressing '.' several times) it shows the animation but when I try to automate this by using such a code: for(int i = 0; i < 10; i ++) { Sleep( 500 ); key('.'); post_redraw(); } it waits freezed for like 5 secs and then shows the last mesh. What can I do to correct this?
Advertisement
Don't sleep so long.
5 seconds? Double check your code to make certain that you're calling Sleep(500) and not Sleep(5000).
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I'm calling Sleep(500) for 10 times so that's equal to Sleep(5000) or a little more :)
Does post_redraw( ) actually cause all the drawing code to be called, or just alert the drawing manager that it could use a redraw? I suspect the latter. A fix for this is to use a proper timer, rather than relying on Sleep. This way, your update loop can keep updating, and the mesh will change/update when it needs to (when the value of current_time >= next_mesh_time).
I tried checking current time in a while() loop but it loops so many times that the program gets into not responding state. Just a call to key('.'); updates the mesh successfully but i need to do it after doing nothing for a while, like 0.5s. The Sleep function waits but it doesn't update mesh when I call key('.'); after sleep. Btw thanks for the answers.
Quote:Original post by napacan
I tried checking current time in a while() loop but it loops so many times that the program gets into not responding state. Just a call to key('.'); updates the mesh successfully but i need to do it after doing nothing for a while, like 0.5s. The Sleep function waits but it doesn't update mesh when I call key('.'); after sleep. Btw thanks for the answers.

Simply check the time whenever you draw your mesh. If the correct time hasn't passed, don't do anything; if it has, update your mesh before you draw it. It shouldn't block anything else from happening.

If you still can't get it, toss some code up and I can point to where it should go.
Quote:Original post by napacan
I tried checking current time in a while() loop but it loops so many times that the program gets into not responding state.

Sounds like you need to use other input methods than 'key', which sounds like it sits and waits for a keyboard character....

look into Polling and Interrupts if you don't know what they are...

more details needed on what you mean by 'not responding'
here's the code for play:

void Pane::play() {	_ftime( &timebuffer );		double initialTime = (double)timebuffer.time + (double)timebuffer.millitm*0.001;	for(int i = 1; i <= 10; i ++)	{		Sleep(500);		currentTime = (double)timebuffer.time + (double)timebuffer.millitm*0.001;		if (currentTime > initialTime + (0.5*i))		{			key('.');		}			}}

key('.'); does the following:

if (currentFrame == (numFrames - 1)){	currentFrame = 0;}else{currentFrame++;}switchToFrame(currentFrame);

switchToFrame just changes the pointers to the current model to next model

i used sleep to not to do anything but it's not showing the model. the class Pane inherits from CFrameWnd and has some functions like:
private:    HGLRC gl_context;    int pixel_format;    CDC *active_dc;    bool set_pixel_format(HDC);    bool create_glcontext(HDC);    void handle_mouse(int kind, UINT flags, CPoint point);    void do_redraw(CDC& dc);protected:  // MFC virtual function overrides    BOOL PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs);protected:  // MFC event handlers    afx_msg void OnPaint();    afx_msg BOOL OnEraseBkgnd(CDC *);    afx_msg int  OnCreate(LPCREATESTRUCT lpCreateStruct);    afx_msg void OnDestroy();    afx_msg void OnSize(UINT nType, int cx, int cy);    afx_msg void OnLButtonDown(UINT flags, CPoint point);    afx_msg void OnLButtonUp(UINT flags, CPoint point);    afx_msg void OnRButtonDown(UINT flags, CPoint point);    afx_msg void OnRButtonUp(UINT flags, CPoint point);    afx_msg void OnMButtonDown(UINT flags, CPoint point);    afx_msg void OnMButtonUp(UINT flags, CPoint point);    afx_msg void OnMouseMove(UINT flags, CPoint point);    afx_msg void OnChar(UINT ch, UINT repcount, UINT flags);    afx_msg void OnTimer(UINT timer_id);    DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP ()public:    void create(char *name);    inline void make_current(HDC dc) { wglMakeCurrent(dc, gl_context); }    inline void finish(HDC dc) { SwapBuffers(dc); }    void get_canvas_geometry(int *x, int *y, int *w, int *h);    void draw_string(int x, int y, const char *str);    void snapshot_ppm(const char *name=NULL);    void snapshot_tiff(const char *name=NULL);    virtual void gl_init();    virtual void begin_redraw();    virtual void end_redraw();    void post_redraw();    void require_redraw();    virtual void redraw();    virtual void illustrate();    virtual void key(char);    virtual void button(int kind, int which, int x, int y);    virtual void size(int width, int height);    unsigned int add_timer(unsigned int id, unsigned int millisecs);    bool remove_timer(unsigned int id);    virtual void timer(unsigned int);
Actually key('.') is called when . key is pressed. Any character is sent to key()and if the character is . then it draws the next mesh. It's listening for input all the time and does something if the input has some corresponding code in the
key(char c)
function.

By not responding I mean it crashes, i don't know it stops responding.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement