Sign in to follow this  

Really quick rand() question

This topic is 3934 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, Just trying to figure out if this is possible I'm trying to generate a random number between -30 and 30. How would I go about doing this. I know the code to get one for a number between 0 and 30:
int posX = (rand() % 30) + 1;
But what can I add to this line to make the beginning of the range -30? Many thanks

Your code generates a number in the range 0..30. Your new requirement is a range of 60, so you generate a number between 0..60. You can then offset the range by adding or subtracting a number from the range, moving the values in the range to

0 + N..60 + N.

Your code will get a number between 0 and 31. We take the remainder (modulus) when divided by 30. This is in the range 0 to 29 (between -1 and 30). We then add one and are in the range 1 to 30 (between 0 and 31).

To get between -30 and 30 (-29 to 29) we see that there is a total 59 different values so we get a in the range from 0 to 58 and subtract 29.

int posX = (rand()%59)-29;

Ah thanks guys, I did think of doing that, but thought there might be a way of setting up what the first number in the range is

But thats good enough for me, :)

If you want a way to simply set the low and high bounds, just do something like this:

int Random(int low, int high)
{
return low + rand()%(high-low+1);
}

Quote:
Original post by Kuro
If you want a way to simply set the low and high bounds, just do something like this:

int Random(int low, int high)
{
return low + rand()%(high-low+1);
}

Ive heard that something like this is better ( something about the low order bits being less random than the higher order ones with rand() ):

return low + int(( rand() / float(RAND_MAX) ) * (high - low + 1) );

Hope I got the math right =/

This topic is 3934 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.