Going to the next level

Started by
3 comments, last by simple_2007 17 years, 1 month ago
I just bought BEGINNING C++ GAME PROGRAMMING by Michael Dawson. When I am done reading it, which next how to program book should I get next to continue my lesson in C++ programing?
Advertisement
I would first suggest, taking what you know and try making something... in my oppinion that is the best way to learn, and it is alot cheaper than buying a bunch of books. challenge your self to new things, when theres something you dont know how to do research it.

-----------------------------------------------The ZoloProject
I did what simple said. Except I didn't research online. I didn't need to because I had a friend with some games under his belt. I didn't even read the whole book (not the same book as you ofcourse), I got what I needed about the DirectX objects and figured out the rest on my own. It worked rather well. I look at games in an entirely new way, and the prospect of makeing them is much less scary.
I would definitely practice what you've learned. From there, it should be obvious where your strengths and weaknesses lie; you can then re-read the book to shore up some weaknesses or ask a friend.

Plus, the more time you spend actually writing code, the better your intuitive understanding of things is.

With a better understanding of what you don't know, you can better target your book purchasing decisions.
Thanks. I'll try it since it saves me money. Thanks for all your help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement