Visio and Visual Studio 2005

Started by
5 comments, last by Ralph Trickey 17 years ago
I have being using Visual Studio 2003 and Visio 2003. Now I'm moving into Visual Studio 2005 and I had realized that Visio 2003 doesn't integrate with the new version of VS. If I'm right, I will need the lattest version of Visio for Enterprise Architects to allow generating reverse engineering from VS. The problem is that I can find a suitable download link. In the microsoft web page there is a link to the Team Suite that contains the Visio for EA, however that link point to a file which has more than 2Gb. As my bandwith is not so big, downloading that file will take me months. Is there any other place were I can find just the Visio for Enterprise Architects? Or is there any other way to integrate Visio with VS2005?
Advertisement
I think its a special version of visio and you have to install the architect edition of MSVC 2005 to get it. And I think that was about 2GB.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
VS2005 doesn't intergrate to Visio at all out of the box. In Professional and better, you can use the Class Diagrammer (http://blogs.msdn.com/classdesigner/archive/2005/05/05/415026.aspx) to emulate this feature, but it isn't as good as Visio.

There are also a few other tools you can use for UML. Doxygen with graphviz can generate reverse enginnering UML diagrams but it isn't perfect: http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/

EDIT: That version of Visio Enterprise requires VS2003, and can't intergrate with VS2005
404: Signature Not Found
Office Visio for Enterprise Architects is technically a seperate product however it requires VS to be installed.

You talked about the "Microsoft webpage" with a download link. If you are an MSDN subscriber with the correct level of subscription, it is located under Developer Tools->Visual Studio 2005->Visio for Enterprise Architects and is a 235MB English ISO (ISOs for the other languages are smaller except for Chinese)
Quote:Original post by NCommander
VS2005 doesn't intergrate to Visio at all out of the box. In Professional and better, you can use the Class Diagrammer

Clean install of Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite followed by install of Visio for Enterprise Architects (version "11", i.e. it's an enhanced version of Office Visio 2003). Visio Architect won't install unless there is a version of Visual Studio installed first (or so the installer claims)

Thx for the answers. Finally the problem is solved, I downloaded Enterprise Architect and instead of visio, just setup the MDG Integration which link the EA to Visual Studio 2005.
I had never before used Enterprise Architect, it's a very very good software to perform round-trip engineering and the integration with VS allows to have UML designs with out leaving the VS interface. As far as I see it I prefer using
EA instead of Visio.
Once again, thx for you answers.
Quote:Original post by Custom
Thx for the answers. Finally the problem is solved, I downloaded Enterprise Architect and instead of visio, just setup the MDG Integration which link the EA to Visual Studio 2005.
I had never before used Enterprise Architect, it's a very very good software to perform round-trip engineering and the integration with VS allows to have UML designs with out leaving the VS interface. As far as I see it I prefer using
EA instead of Visio.
Once again, thx for you answers.

Myt group has been using it for over a year. It's a fantastic tool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement