Sign in to follow this  
TechnoGoth

Vox

I’m planning on putting together a little virus game, themed after terminator 3. You basically control a virus, with the aim of spreading, evolving, and causing havoc, while preventing detection from major organization that will try to eradicate you. And I’m looking for a few ideas, and suggestions. Currently I have the following: Stats: Computational Power – Base stat used for everything. Footprint - How easy the virus is to detect on a machine. Complexity - How complex the virus is the more complex the harder it is for the Anti virus companies to stop you, and the more proccessing is required to mutate. Generation – When the virus mutates a percentage of the anti virus work is lost. Infection - A rating of how many machines you have infected. As you infect computers your computational power increases. You can adjust the amount of power to leach from infected computer between 1% and 100% the more power you leach from an infected system the more computational power you have, but the more likely the user is to detect the infection. Footprint and complexity increase with new upgrades to the virus and as computational power increases. Mutating occurs automatically if you assign part of your computational power to mutation. It requires an amount of processing to be done based on complexity. Infecting computers occurs automatically based on the infection vectors you have. The infections vectors I’ve got so far are: Spam AV definition corruption OS update corruption Upgrades to the virus, acquiring new infection vectors, and causing havoc are all done through hacking servers. There are a number of special servers in the game that you can attempt to hack. Hacking consists of mini games. So far the only game I have thought of is Firewall port scan ala lawnmower man. There are number of hexes, that you click on and attempt to decrypt to find an access point. Based on the security rating of the server there will be a number of accessible ports the rest of the ports will be blocked. The amount of time it takes to decrypt a port is based on the security rating and computational power. You only have so long once you begin an attack to gain control of the machine before you’re kicked off. You can cause havoc by attack different servers, either as a hack or DoS attack. There are 3 levels of havoc you can cause on a server. Interference Disruption Destruction The different types of attackable servers I have so far are: Air Traffic Control Banking Power Grid E-Commerce Nuclear weapon systems You win by either crippling society or by reaching a certain level of complexity and thus achieving transcendence. Any ideas, for additional infection vectors, havoc attacks, hacking games, upgrades, or suggestions would be helpful.

More infection vectors would be:

'Drive-by' (no user action required) web browser exploit (highest chance to spread, lowest chance to stay undetected).

Embedded exploits in popular online videos (such as what's hosted on YouTube).

Macro/Script virus (real life things like VBA in Office or some browers' handling of scripting) Low chance to spread, high chance to stay undetected.

Warez Trojan (pirates infecting themselves when they download a key generator or crack) Low chance to spread, extremely high chance to stay undetected.

DLL upload to file share. Extremely low chance to spread between workgroups/domains, but it will spread throughout the entire network once it's in. Medium chance to stay undetected.

You might want to consider simulating some level of actual internet topology - small home networks, business networks, college campus networks, government and military networks, etc. This might provide the game with interesting graphical possibilities (think about the GUIs they have in hacker movies).

Quote:
Original post by Nypyren
More infection vectors would be:

'Drive-by' (no user action required) web browser exploit (highest chance to spread, lowest chance to stay undetected).

Embedded exploits in popular online videos (such as what's hosted on YouTube).

Macro/Script virus (real life things like VBA in Office or some browers' handling of scripting) Low chance to spread, high chance to stay undetected.

Warez Trojan (pirates infecting themselves when they download a key generator or crack) Low chance to spread, extremely high chance to stay undetected.

DLL upload to file share. Extremely low chance to spread between workgroups/domains, but it will spread throughout the entire network once it's in. Medium chance to stay undetected.

Those could all work.

All add them to the list.

Quote:

You might want to consider simulating some level of actual internet topology - small home networks, business networks, college campus networks, government and military networks, etc. This might provide the game with interesting graphical possibilities (think about the GUIs they have in hacker movies).

I like it. I was just going to have world map. But a network of connected nodes will be a lot more interesting. I can even have them change color to represent the spread of the infection.