Sign in to follow this  
Silver-0

Getting into Game Programming

Hey all, I am sure someone here will be able to help me out here. I am wanting to go down the career path of game developer, at the moment my only formal training is after finishing high school in cape town, SA I completed a Diploma at a cambridge accredited college with its main language being C++ and secondary was Oracle. This was a 9 month course so obviously not ver indepth. I am now wanting to look at doing more schooling, be it a Bsc or something in the right direction. the main things i have to look out for is, It needs to be distance learning or part time in london as i am based there and need to continue working to support myself. I would like to continue in C++ as well as i enjoy using it, and find alot of the degrees at places like Open University involve just Java. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? any courses i should consider, would http://www.gameinstitute.com be an option and do these places help finding work after the degree is complete? Oh and one last piece, unfortunately for the financial side I need to look at places that can offer financial support, like paying it off, or paying for one module at a time, as i could not afford to pay in full in one go, maybe in a couple of months but i would like to begin as soon as i can. Thanks! Steve

In spite of their differences, colleges and universities have similar fundamentals when it comes to programming. Even game specific colleges will end up teaching the same programming languages.

Since financial aid is an issue, I would recommend going to a local college that you can afford or that you can get financial assistance for.

Personally I would steer away from the specialized game programming schools. Although nothing is inherently wrong with them, if you ever decide that the game industry is not for you then a degree from a mainstream school would look better.

Game specific schools could be good or bad for your long term career, and the topic has been hotly debated many times in the forums over the years.

The game schools do NOT have a commitment to helping you find a job in the industry. The courses can help you get a portfolio, and they will give you contact information for game companies. You can do all of that on your own.

Thanks Frob, thats pretty handy to know, and looking at other answers to other questions like this people have ask it looks like a computer science degree is the way to go.
I might just carry on looking, maybe do a C++ 1 course with game institute to get my programming up to speed but see if i can find a local place that does a distance learning degree.

you don't need a C++ course, you need "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup (the creator of C++). I learned 5+ languages at while getting my BS/CS, not one of which was C++. Of all of the languages that I know I am best at C++ because that is what I use at home. (my job is unrelated to programming). School is not really a place where they teach programming. It gets you started but to get past the beginner level you have to learn on your own.

cool, never heard of that book but i will definitely look for it.
is it alright for a beginner to upper levels? because i am most defniitely a beginner but want some that actually goes into more advanced features and doesnt just stop

and then continue my search for a distance learning Bsc computer Science, the other question i should be asking myself as well is do i have the brains to follow this career path, i suppose thats one only i can answer and comes down to how much commitment i am willing to put in

[Edited by - Silver-0 on March 7, 2007 5:07:42 PM]