Sign in to follow this  

Lost Device Problem

This topic is 3932 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My system (DX in windowed mode) handles the Lost Device properly now. I tested it by pressing ALT+CTL+DELETE which makes the device to be lost and later everything else is restored nicely. However, when i lock my screen by WINDOW+L and later login back... the device apparently doesn't get restored again.. the rendering screen gets all garbled with funny colors. How do i handle this special device lost case ?

Window+L shouldn't be a special case as far as I know. (I handle lost devices the same flawlessly). And CTRL-ALT-DELETE shouldn't cause the device to be lost in windowed mode. How are you handling lost devices?

HRESULT DXWindow::FrameBegin()
{
HRESULT hr;

LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 pBackBuffer;
V(m_pSwapChain->GetBackBuffer(0,D3DBACKBUFFER_TYPE_MONO,&pBackBuffer));

V(m_pDevice->SetRenderTarget(0,pBackBuffer));
V(m_pDevice->SetDepthStencilSurface( m_pDepthStencilBuffer));

SAFE_RELEASE(pBackBuffer);

V(m_pDevice->Clear( 0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER | D3DCLEAR_STENCIL, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(m_clearR,m_clearG,m_clearB), 1.0f, 0 ));

V_RETURN( m_pDevice->BeginScene());

return S_OK;
}

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
HRESULT DXWindow::FrameEnd()
{
HRESULT hr;

V(m_pDevice->EndScene());

hr = m_pSwapChain->Present(NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,0);
if( hr == D3DERR_DEVICELOST ){

while( m_pDevice->TestCooperativeLevel() == D3DERR_DEVICELOST ){
Sleep(100);
}

OnLost();
V(m_pDevice->Reset( &m_d3dPP ));
OnReset();

Tool::GetSingleton()->GetViewerPlugin()->Paint();
}
return S_OK;
}

This is how i am handling lost devices. The OnLost() function traverses through all the object in the system which release their D3DPOOL_DEFAULT stuffs. Similarly OnReset() function traverses through all the object in the system which recreates the D3DPOOL_DEFAULT stuffs. My system also uses Additional Swap Chain and extra DepthStencil Buffers which are also released and recreated. I have done some debugging and found that ALT+CONTROL+DEL makes the device to be lost , which is handled properly. But Locking the wiondow with WIN+L and login back in is not working :(

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but it's not a good thing:

while( m_pDevice->TestCooperativeLevel() == D3DERR_DEVICELOST ){
Sleep(100);
}

You really want to be pumping window messages in that loop - Otherwise a user can't exit your app cleanly while it's minimized (Assuming full-screen normally), and since you never get WM_ACTIVATE calls, it's entirely possible that your device may never end up becomming un-lost.

This topic is 3932 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.