Sign in to follow this  
123abcd1983

The problem of D3DXCreateTexture

hi, I'm using D3DXCreateTextureFromFile to display the picture,but i got some problem on it, the picture has a white color background, so i wish to make the white color background transparent. Last time a guy told me use the D3DXCreateTexture or D3DXLoadSurface, and it has a colorkey can make the color transparent, but i not sure which one is the color key? Is it have any example can refer? How to load the picture file i want from my computer by using D3DXCreateTexture .

HRESULT D3DXCreateTexture(
  LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 pDevice,
  UINT Width,
  UINT Height,
  UINT MipLevels,
  DWORD Usage,
  D3DFORMAT Format,
  D3DPOOL Pool,
  LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 * ppTexture
);

The code below is how i write the code in my program

void InitPlayingScene(IDirect3DDevice9* pd3dDevice)
{	
	D3DXCreateTextureFromFile( pd3dDevice, L"duck3.bmp", &g_pDuckTexture );
	D3DXCreateSprite( pd3dDevice, &g_pDuckSprite);	
}

void CALLBACK onPlayingSceneRender(IDirect3DDevice9* pd3dDevice)
{
       DuckVec = D3DXVECTOR3(x, y, 0);
       // render the background of the playing scene
       SetRect(&rc,  0, 0, 120,60);
       g_pDuckSprite ->Begin( D3DXSPRITE_DONOTSAVESTATE);
       g_pDuckSprite ->Draw ( g_pDuckTexture, &rc, NULL, &DuckVec,  0xFFFFFFFF);
       g_pDuckSprite ->End();
}

not sure 100% but try:
set render state of your device

d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, TRUE); //enable alphablending

then begin draw your sprite with parameter D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND

g_pDuckSprite->Begin( D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND | D3DXSPRITE_DONOTSAVESTATE);

if white color doesn't goes 100% transparent try black instead

D3DXCreateTexture[Ex] is for creating an empty texture which you then fill. If you're filling it yourself, you'll need to specify an alpha channel (Which you can set to 0 or 255 for fully opaque or fully transparant).

The function the last person told you to use was probably D3DXCreateTextureFrom*Ex (E.g. D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx). That allows you to load a texture from a file, and specify a colour you want to use as transparant.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
D3DXCreateTexture[Ex] is for creating an empty texture which you then fill. If you're filling it yourself, you'll need to specify an alpha channel (Which you can set to 0 or 255 for fully opaque or fully transparant).

The function the last person told you to use was probably D3DXCreateTextureFrom*Ex (E.g. D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx). That allows you to load a texture from a file, and specify a colour you want to use as transparant.

Thanks, it really help a lot, at least i know which function i need to call, but i still not sure which parameter i have to change to make the background color transparent, i think should be the ColorKey parameter, and I tried to changed it to 0xFFFFFFFF (white color), because the picture background color is white, and i wish to make it transparent,but when i run the program agains, that white color background became black color. Below is the value i passed into D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx just wondering what value i need to pass in if i want to make the white color transparent.

HRESULT D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx( // value pas in my coding
LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 pDevice, // ---> pd3dDevice
LPCTSTR pSrcFile, // ---> L"Duck.bmp",
UINT Width, // ---> 100
UINT Height, // ---> 50
UINT MipLevels, // ---> D3DX_DEFAULT
DWORD Usage, // ---> 0
D3DFORMAT Format, // ---> D3DFMT_FROM_FILE
D3DPOOL Pool, // ---> D3DPOOL_DEFAULT
DWORD Filter, // ---> D3DX_DEFAULT
DWORD MipFilter, // ---> DD3DX_DEFAULT
D3DCOLOR ColorKey, // ---> 0xFFFFFFFF
D3DXIMAGE_INFO * pSrcInfo, // ---> NULL
PALETTEENTRY * pPalette, // ---> NULL
LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 * ppTexture // ---> &g_pDuckTexture
);

Your code changes the white colour of the texture to transparent, but you're not enabling transparency. You'll still need to do what redas suggested - although I don't think you need to set the render state - ID3DXSprite will do that when you use the D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND flag.

Also, you're specifying D3DFMT_FROM_FILE for the format - a BMP doesn't have an alpha channel, so it's probably just getting dropped. Try using another format like D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8.