How to start with a tetris clone?

Started by
19 comments, last by Meateater 17 years, 1 month ago
I'm very new to programming, actually i am so new that i dont know what you are talking about when you say C#/C++, i understand it's some kind of code language, but that was just to demonstrate how new i am. So the real question, how to u start up a tetris clone? How do i beging programming? Do i need any 3rd party programs to program this? If so, what programs? And finally, i dont really undertsand programming, is it just like you sit there write a lot of codes and BOOM some blocks fall down on eachtother, or is it more simple? Guide on how to make a tetris clone would be appreciated too.
Advertisement
See the Beginner's Forum FAQ for info on how to get started.

For the tetris clone, there was a topic in here that takes you step-by-step through building a tetris clone. Use the forum search function and you should be able to find it.
If you're that new to programming you should take a month or so to just learn the language. Tetris = graphics = advanced programming. Read that FAQ and then pick up a "learn X language" book, work your way through it; if you need game-type project motivation work on a text-based RPG or something else fun and text-based

-me
Thanks for answers. I'm looking at some C++ guides on the net but i noticed that i needed a compiler, so i looked up Windows vision, is that good?

How do i start with a text RPG? That sounds more complimiced.
Quote:Original post by Meateater
Thanks for answers. I'm looking at some C++ guides on the net but i noticed that i needed a compiler, so i looked up Windows vision, is that good?

The FAQ has a list of good, free IDEs for Windows C++ programming. An IDE (Integrated Development Environment) includes a compiler, useful code editor, and usually an integrated debugger. All three are all but necessary for programming, though technically all you need is notepad and a compiler (not recommended). I'll recommend Microsoft's Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition. It's free, quite compliant to the standard, and has a powerful debugger. Also, it's easy to use and free. Did I mention it's free?

Quote:How do i start with a text RPG? That sounds more complimiced.

Programming a text game will be much easier than trying to incorporate graphics without first understanding the language. To start, learn the basics of C++ console programming. There are tutorials in the FAQ, as well, though we're more than willing to answer any specific questions.

Best of luck!
-jouley
I got windows vision, both basic C++ and C# so i guess i'm just gonna try out the basic.... How do you use it?

[Edited by - Meateater on March 8, 2007 5:34:37 AM]
Also, what language should i start with? Python, C++, C# or C?
Python, C++, and C# are good choices. C is not. None of them are related to the BASIC language, by the way.

Python is a good language for beginners, but C++ is more commonly used here. Either will serve you well if you go through a simple tutorial and work slowly.
Okay, i got Borland and played around with it (read a tutorial on how to get it running). However i am encountering problems when doing the test part where it should display what version i'm using, copyright year etc it does half perfectly, the other half is just an error message. So i played around testing different documents in my borland server, when i tested the "turbo debugger" document it suddenly show the part that is missing at the other test, however the part that would show before is now an error message. Very annoying, also a last question, is microsoft vision better than borland?
Quote:Original post by Meateater
is microsoft vision better than borland?

There is no such thing as "Microsoft Vision". It's "Microsoft Visual Studio", and IMHO, it is infinitely better than Borland. (And did Jouley mention it's free?) ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement