Reality Of Being A Game Programmer

Started by
28 comments, last by Republicanist 17 years ago
Quote:Original post by ravyne2001
... I'd say 10% or more of the senior class leaves Digipen every year because they've been "poached" by employers, ...

Apparently a Digipen degree is not worth much if people will throw it away just to take a job.
... and probably 40% have standing offers upon their graduation...

40% is not a very good number. Compare it to other universities.
...he beat out ~200 applicants, many of whom had industry experience.

200 applicants! Think about what that means. If you are hoping to get a job in the game industry, there are 200 other people just like you competing for that same job.

The reality is that it is very difficult to get a job in the game industry. Your plans for college should account for that. A degree in CS or engineering will give you the opportunity to work in many different fields, and the nice thing is that you don't have to decide right away.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Advertisement
Get a CS degree. I've been in the industry for over 7 years now. Every time I get a fullsail or digipen resume across my desk I'm always disappointed by the quality of the take-home programmer tests and the breadth of learning experience. It might not be the norm out there, but it is the norm at my office.

A CS degree can lead to more interesting things in life; who knows if you'll be interested in being a grunt programmer at a games company after your degree - you might be more interested in a masters or doing an economics or business degree and moving into marketing or producing at a game company instead.

-S
Quote:Original post by JohnBolton
... I'd say 10% or more of the senior class leaves Digipen every year because they've been "poached" by employers, ...

Apparently a Digipen degree is not worth much if people will throw it away just to take a job.

How do you reach that conclusion? Certainly I would never choose to go the same route, but I fail to see how the program is de-valued by the fact that some students are valuable enough to hire even before they've finished. If anything, wouldn't that speak to program's quality?

... and probably 40% have standing offers upon their graduation...

40% is not a very good number. Compare it to other universities.

To be honest, 40% is a very rough number that I basically pulled out of the air from my recollection, its very likely higher, and by Standing offer I mean they have a job to go that starts at their earliest convenience after their graduation.

...he beat out ~200 applicants, many of whom had industry experience.

200 applicants! Think about what that means. If you are hoping to get a job in the game industry, there are 200 other people just like you competing for that same job.

Look, I'm not saying his case is par for the course, but its not atypical either. You seem to concentrate on the competition, rather than the fact that he beat them out -- including so-called industry vets -- This was a smart kid, straight out of the Arkansas pubic school system, excellent in math but no University experience and nothing more than an interest in computers. Digipen, combined with his own intelligence and determination, turned him into a really solid developer. I have no doubt that he would have thrived equally in any other program, but Digipen is what provided him with the framework in which he grew.

The reality is that it is very difficult to get a job in the game industry. Your plans for college should account for that. A degree in CS or engineering will give you the opportunity to work in many different fields, and the nice thing is that you don't have to decide right away.

I do not disagree. Game studios only want the best talent, and many of them also want it to work 60 hour weeks at a pay rate that's well below market value for simalarly skilled devs in other industries.

As I said in my original post, thats precisely the reason I have yet to work in the games industry, despite my Digipen Degree; too many hours for too little pay, plain and simple. But I have not, as you seem to insinuate, found the origin of my degree to be a hinderince to my employment outside of games. Having been through the program, I can assure you that the assumption that Digipen focusses solely on game development, while completely sacrificing basic theory is false.

Digipen is a great place for those that want to be in the game industry, and in my experience its been a great place to be for taking your career outside the industry -- though this is not everyone's experience. You must, however, consider the possibility that the game industry is *not* for you.

I do not believe that a University program will statistically open signifigantly more doors than a Digipen Degree will, however you may have to work harder to overcome the negative stereotype that some employers have of Digipen or of game developers in general. Of course, the answer is much more complex -- some places seek digipen grads only, some seek university grads only, some don't care... Its really a mixed bag.

The bottom line is that once you've got an interview you need to prove your knowlege and value. That's it.

We've gotten quite off-topic here to be honest, but I do feel the need to defend the program when it is attacked. This is not because I feel personally wronged but because, when left unchallenged, such things only serve to further the false stereotypes that do exist in some minds.

AT the end of the day, I'm satisfied that Digipen helped develop my personal skills and understanding to a level that not only prepared me for the current job market, but also provided me with the basis for continued growth and understanding through personal study as technology advances or I take on new roles. Others' miliage may vary.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I see a lot of 'Get a CS degree' on this page. I whole heartedly agree. As of now I am a Junior CS major at the University of Wisconsin. Here is my experience so far...

To be honest, I have not done much that interests me. My third year in college sparked the beginning of 'interesting' programs. Last semester it began with an intro to graphics course using opengl. Now I am in a game technology course. If you would like to see what it is we have been up to, you can check it out here:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~cs679-1/Fletchal/ProjectMainPage

Before this year, I was required to take all kinds of math and engineering that I do not use currently and will not use in a non-theoretical field. I know that sounds terrible :) but this school's CS Dept. is heavily into theory and not into applying ideas, just discussing them. Its Games course is just a fledgling and only really supported by one professor (thank god there is at least one). There are other schools that offer more in the field while still supplying the traditional education. As far as I have seen, Washington and the University of Michigan best describe what I am talking about, but I am sure there are others.

If you do end up at a school that is heavily theory based and not application based, I encourage you to do some work outside of classes on your own. Stay active on gamedev and join/start student orgs that focus on game programming. It will put you a step ahead of your classmates. I don't want to say I am any better a computer science major than my peers, however, I did all of the things I mentioned and it paid off. When it comes to applying the theory and ideas that have been taught in class I see the others (the ones who don't work on their own hobby projects outside of class) struggling to put their knowledge into something concrete.

Anyways, I hope this helps and if you have questions please respond or pm me!

Goodluck to you!

-sevans

-Sevans
Just figured I'd repeat what everyone else said, getting a CS degree is a very good idea. However, keep in mind what it is, and what it isn't. You'll learn a lot of stuff that is valuable to a programmer, but it is not a programming degree. So if you want to get into programming (which is where most CS people end up), you should probably do some programming in your spare time. You learn lots of theory in CS, but it's always a good idea to get in some practical experience as well.
I'd also pick it over something like Digipen.
Specialized game programming schools have two problems, imo.
First, they're specialized, meaning they're not that useful if you ever choose to do something other than game programming.
And second, they're (as far as I know), not as theoretical oriented as CS. this is just me, but I think if you're going to get a degree, it should be to get all the theory you can't easily learn on your own. On the other hand, the practical experience is just a matter of, well, practice, so not much point in paying tuition and everything for that. You can get it in your spare time for free.

Apart from that, if you're worried about money, the games industry might not be the best place to work. The pay isn't usually as good as in other programming fields. Of course, you won't starve or anything, but if your goal is to make as much money as possible, go with other kinds of programming.
Quote:Original post by Sevans
the University of Michigan best describe what I am talking about

If there is absolutely one thing I know about anything its that if you want a future in the game industry you'll stay away from Michigan.
Quote:Original post by VerMan

You know, all that weird stuff your parents/friends don't have a clue you "actually" study (all of them think we go to college and take WindowsXP, MS Office and How-To repair PC's classes... give me a break)

Thats soo true, my dads friend is bringing his computer tommorow so i can fix it. :(
because he thinks thats what i learn with my degree in CSCI.
i think the name computer science is misleading, it should be called computing science.

one day there was this freshman talking and he was like ya i was gonna major in computer engineering, they are the people who build computer, but then i found out computer scientist tell the computer engnineers what to do so im gonna major in Computer science instead. Poor kid i never got the chance to tell him. now hes gonna waste his time taking CS classes and hes gonna be in for a surprise.
Hey man,

Read this post throughly (pay particular attention to Mr Jeff Landers)

Cheers.
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'CLng'

/community/forums/topic.asp, line 20

:(
As a hiring manager in a small game development company, I can tell you that we value experience much more than the type of degree you have.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement