Sign in to follow this  
EvilCloneVlad

Beginning Game Development/Programming

Hi, I've been a member here for a while and ive been trying to learn C++ and it seems extremely difficult and lately ive been seeing that alot advice is to learn an easier language first such as python. I was just wondering if since I have been dabbling in c++ for a little while but is it worthwhile for me to stick with it or just to try going to something that might be a little easier to pickup like python? My current knowledge of C++ isnt very large yet, im still very much in the early stages of learning. I have read about pointers but do not know anything about them (and from what I understand pointers are an extremely important part of C++ programming.)

In addition to shadowisadog's suggestion...

If you have trouble with some parts of C++ (or any language, for that matter),
just ask here! This is a large community[smile]

I know, I have already learned that people here are extremly helpful. It's just lately I have browsing these 'For Beginners' forums and have seen alot of people asking how to start out and most of the advice is to start with a more simple language such as python.

Right now I don't know which way I should go A. Stick with C++ or B. Learn Python
because like I have said I started with C++ and have managed to learn a few things along the way so I dont exactly just want to give it up, but on the other hand I feel like since im trying to start out with such a complex language that it might be hindering my ability to learn the best.

C++ takes a long time to learn how to do anything useful at first. I was making entire games within weeks with Conitec 3DGameStudio's extremely simplified C, whereas trying to make a game with C++ is diving into the deep end. But learning the concepts of C++ (yes, especially pointers) certainly can't hurt, and you'll want to know C++ eventually for serious programming.

If you want results quick, learn an easier language (I'm sure Python, Lisp, Haskell, etc. fans will be happy to start a fresh debate over which is best). If you're not in a hurry, go ahead with C++; I think it'll help you in the long run.

Have you tried learning C, first? I actually took a semster of C++, but didnt really understand what it was i was doing ( i just did it because thats how the book said to do it). After that, i took a course on C programming...and let me tell you...it made so much more sense. C is a lot more "manual" than C++, so you really get a full understanding of what exactly is going on. The best part is, if you can get the hang of C, transitioning to C++ (which i am currently doing now) actually becomes quite fun. Things that didnt make sense, the first time i tried, make so much more sense now. That would be my suggestion...

Quote:
Original post by bananax182
Have you tried learning C, first? I actually took a semster of C++, but didnt really understand what it was i was doing ( i just did it because thats how the book said to do it). After that, i took a course on C programming...and let me tell you...it made so much more sense. C is a lot more "manual" than C++, so you really get a full understanding of what exactly is going on. The best part is, if you can get the hang of C, transitioning to C++ (which i am currently doing now) actually becomes quite fun. Things that didnt make sense, the first time i tried, make so much more sense now. That would be my suggestion...

There are two reasons why I'm not sure this is the best advice. Maybe your first class/book/teacher sucked. :) Maybe taking the class on c++ prepared you for C and if you had started with C you wouldn't have understood. I mean, due to the nature of c++ you start with exactly the same concepts, except you should use std::string instead of char *, cout instead of printf, cin instead of scanf, etc. You learn operations, control structures, loops. using classes is simple as heck. And if you learn C you may end up using C++ incorrectly. Also, if you thought C was manual, you should have suggested assembly. Now that's manual ;)

Personally, I think one should use C# or Python first. But in the end the choice se is up to Vlad