Windows Form Application

Started by
6 comments, last by neob 17 years, 1 month ago
I want to make something like the start up for my game. For example, user clicks neob-game. Options include play, install, and game options. Should I use Windows Form Applications provided by Visual Studio 2005? Or write the code myself in win32 C++ GUI Thanks everyone for reading my post. [Edited by - neob on March 7, 2007 10:18:50 PM]
Advertisement
To me it would depend on what your game is written in.

If your game is written in a .net language, then definately, absolutely write the launcher using .net forms as well. It'll be trivial to do.

On the other hand, if your game is written in c++, then I'm not sure that requiring the user to install the .net framework just for the launcher is worth it. A surprisingly large number of people out there still don't have it installed.
If using MSVC++, I would use the resource editor and do it that way.
Thats how I do it. Dont need the .net framework either.

I have done this numerous times and this way it runs on a clean unpatched system (tested on clean XP, 2000, Server 2003 - with absolutly no updates!).

I started trying with hard coding into the program. But now - no way!
Ah ok. Usually "Windows Form Applications" refers to using the System.Windows.Forms library of the .net framework. You also see it referred to as "WinForms".

But if you have an alternative to manually coding it with the win32 api, but still use c++, then by all means, that sounds ideal.
Quote:Original post by lonewolff
If using MSVC++, I would use the resource editor and do it that way.
Thats how I do it. Dont need the .net framework either.

I have done this numerous times and this way it runs on a clean unpatched system (tested on clean XP, 2000, Server 2003 - with absolutly no updates!).

I started trying with hard coding into the program. But now - no way!

How do I access the resource editor in MSVC++?
Quote:Original post by neob
How do I access the resource editor in MSVC++?
If you are using the Express Edition, the unmanaged resource editor is not included.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I have paid for version.
I still cant find the unmanaged resource editor. Little help please. Im guessing it has another name like MicrosoftSomething Something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement