Big game dissapointments

Started by
78 comments, last by Drakkcon 17 years, 1 month ago
I was just wondering what games you all out there have bought and been soo badly dissapointed by, my list is: 1) Daikatana (I know I should have read the reviews) 2) Half-Life 2 (some love this game, but I found it kind of boring 3) Doom 3 (graphically very impressive, but alas I just wanted to run around and shoot stuff like the original, Doom3 was very slow paced game for me) 4) Halo (for PC) looked poor and ran poorly and I though other FPS's where better anyways.
Close this Gamedev account, I have outgrown Gamedev.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by kRogue
2) Half-Life 2 (some love this game, but I found it kind of boring

I'd agree except parts of it were cool and it lets you play CounterStrike.

I was dissapointed by Oblivion until I modded it, but by that point it was kind of too late anyway. I was also kind of dissapointed by the linear-story style of Fable, but it's still a good game.
Need for Speed: Carbon for PC. It was so good on the PSP, and so freaking unstable on the PC.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Big Rigs and Godfather. The latter was kinda fun, but didn't really feel all to polished and was way too easy.
Dungeon Seige II. If you're going to clone Diablo, at least clone the good bits.
UFO: Aftershock (the second one in that series).

As an X-Com clone, they could have spent some time actually making it interesting rather than tedious. Cultist missions are the same map as the last 100 missions (and yes, I mean last 100 missions) And when you realize that your 3 minute mission load times and 400 megs of your RAM is being taken up by poorly thought out destructible terrain information that is NEVER USED in a typical mission, you wonder where the real priorities lie.

I'm glad they did a much better job on Afterlight (well, the slightly more interesting missions and shorter load times anyway. It still leaks memory faster than anything else I've ever seen, and I HAVE actually exploited the destructible terrain a few times).
I found Halo 2 and Shenmue 2 both rather dissapointing.

Halo 2 because it was way overhyped, and a lot of the better sounding features never made it into the game. Shenmue 2 because after tens of hours of brilliant, immersive gameplay, the whole thing was ruined with a completely stupid ending.
The ending of System Shock II disappointed me. When the protagonist says "Nah.." ...worst voice acting and answer ever.
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
What a terrible thing to do to a fantastic series.
I was dissapointed in UT2003, which was not really a gameplay improvement in any way over the original Unreal Tournament. I also bought it right before the store dropped the price by $20, and our computer at the time didn't run it. When I actually got a nice computer, I had lost the CD key, so all in all it was the worst video game buy ever for me.

Other than that, I'm usually careful about how I buy games. Reccomendations from friends seem to be the most reliable way nect to actually playing the game beforehand.

Currently I hope I'm not dissapointed by Command and Conquer 3 or by Halo 3, but the demo for C&C is kickass and Halo 3 could be Halo 2 only wiht more gfx!!1~ and I'd still have fun.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement