Big game dissapointments

Started by
78 comments, last by Drakkcon 17 years, 1 month ago
Vampire the Masquerade:Redemption
I'm a die-hard tabletop rpg fan (esp.White Wolf's) and had been waiting on this one for so long. Ended up with clumsy controls, weird bugs and graphics that were subpar even for the time. Never finished it. Ugh.
Advertisement
TES IV: Oblivion. Not in that it was a bad game, but from the hype, I expected more. It looked cool at first, but it didn't live up to my expectations. The technology was great, individually, but its piecemeal and sometimes haphazard utilization ruined it for me. What's the point of 15,000 polys for a character if they're far down the road, but still making it run just as slow? As a whole, Oblivion could have been much more technologically polished.

The plot was decent, railroaded at times, repetitive with all the Oblivion gates, but it regains some coolness points with the sidequests and many of the guild quests.

It also is the only game which has consistently caused my computer to crash (using 2 different video cards, to boot), regardless of game updates, video driver updates, etc.

</rant>
[sub]-------------------------So impact forces are measured in Ford-Taurus-miles-per-hour in the U.S.? - Trapper Zoid[/sub]
How about Unreal 2. Someone should be shoot for taging it with the Unreal name. It was amusing romp for the 5min it lasts but it wasn't near as good or anything like what the name suggests. And how come it actually gets easier the farther into the game you get?
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Let me first start by mentioning the worst friggin game series I've ever played (most people have never heard of it which is a good thing) Every Pit Fighter game for Sega Genesis. I don't know if they ever released it for SNES, but those pit fighter games really were the epitome of horrid. They should have butchered those the rest of the way by turning them into movies instead of the games that are already made into movies.

With that out of the way,... Primal Rage, Mercenaries playground of destruction, Smugglers Run, Mortal Kombat 4, Lord of the Rings ROTK for PS2.
Quote:Original post by BeanDog
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. I was hoping for a classic style adventure game (King's Quest, Monkey Island). Instead I got real-time Myst--pretty, tedious, boring puzzles.

I rather liked Dreamfall, if you don't compare it to the original game. The Longest Journey (The prequel to Dreamfall) is an awesome adventure game. It's interface is very similar to Monkey Island, etc.

As for Deus Ex 2, I thought the game was awesome. Again, don't compare it to the original as the original is 100000x better...

One of the biggest disappointments for me was KOTOR 2. Terrible, terrible game. The first game was simply perfect, and they made the second one buggy and low budget.

Also, NWN2 is terrible. I bought it the day it was released and played it for about a week. Haven't played it since. Although, I do have some hope for it, as NWN1 was the same way and it became a great game after many patches and community addons.

(Also note, that the same company fux0red NWN2 and KOTOR2... Obsidian....)
I'm also gonna offer up Pariah, the Ghost in the Shell game for the PSP and the Midway arcade collections for the GBA as massive wastes of money and time.

Gothic III, Fable and Black and White are other named disappointments. KOTOR2 would've been okay if they had actually, y'know, finished it. Fade To Black still pisses me off to this day, although I dunno what I was expecting since Flashback was a stinker to start with.

Also, Zero Tolerance for the Genesis. Pyew. I wish they had released Battle Frenzy in the US; it was a much better game, although I only got to play it on Sega Channel.

Hmm, if we're going to go back to 16-bit disappointments, let's get the pleasantries over with and offer up Sonic Spinball, The Ooze and Vectorman 2 as outlandishly disappointing Sega Genesis games.
Yeah, Mortal Kombat 4 screwed the series up. And then, the next one for GameCube(can't remember the name) screwed it up worse. Sure the characters have 3d fighting stances and moves each, but that is part of what ruined it. The latest and greatest was Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, which had most all the characters. Also, I played one for dreamcast that had a different name and limited characters, but it still played the same, so it was alright.

My list of disappointments are the following

Shadow of the Colossus: Fighting the bosses was an awesome experience but I was disappointed that there was nothing else to do in the game. It seemed more like a proof of concept than a finished game.

Xenosaga Episode 2: They really screwed up the battle system compared to Episode 1. I hear Episode 3 is suppose to be more like the first one but I want to finish 2 before getting 3.

Children of Mana for DS: I was expecting something similar to Secret of Mana for SNES and instead got a poorly implemented Zelda (NES) ripoff.

I was also disappointed by Oblivion because it sucks to have enemies level at the same rate as you.
"Pfft, Facts! Facts can be used to prove anything!" -- Homer J. Simpson
Quote:Original post by cmptrgear
Children of Mana for DS: I was expecting something similar to Secret of Mana for SNES and instead got a poorly implemented Zelda (NES) ripoff.
I was about to go out and buy this. Does anyone else think it's crap?
NARC. Jesus. What's awful is that I'd heard only bad things about the game, and I was still disappointed. The game come so very, very close to being a downright great game, yet falls so miserably short that it's just pathetic. Parts of the game are stupidly difficult - and not legitimately so, but due to horrendous design flaws. Gah, the controls, quirks, and freaking annoying mission/save structure make me want to beat up the producers of the game. Oh. Yeah, and the fact that someone is always being beat up, robbed, or otherwise assaulted (as you can tell by the one of two audio fragments that are constantly played), but you can never actually find the people. And 95% of the NPC population is doing something obviously illegal (and on drugs).

EVE. I only played the trial, but I just didn't get it. I don't want to spend that much time spacing between warp points, and hoping that my pathetic little ship doesn't get blasted by some jerk in .5 space.

Second Life. I guess it's cool, but I just don't get it. At all. It's like it took World of Warcraft, and removed everything fun (and removed questing). Meh.

Quote:I was also disappointed by Oblivion because it sucks to have enemies level at the same rate as you.
Heh. I got real annoyed the first time I saw some lame bandit wearing daedric armor...
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement