Sign in to follow this  
tehspamninja

Me and some friends beginning game design together, needing advice

I'm wanting to be a game designer (programming mostly), and my friend is wanting to do the same, but more on the graphically-inclined side. We decided to start a project together and build our skills as we go. He also has a keytar so we can do sound effects or something of the sort with that, but I was wondering if anyone had good recommendations on what kind of engines and things to use to start? I haven't learned c++ yet, but I'm almost done with a QBASIC (ugh) course online so I'll have more time to devote to learning a more suitable language. Any suggestions on how to go about beginning a project such as this, or certain tools that would be best to start with, etc? Sorry to be so general, but I really don't know where to begin.

Here's what I suggest:

1. Start basic. Many people can call themselves game designers, but have never made a game before. I would suggest you start absolutely basic maybe with a 2d game. Like a simple pong or packman game.

2. One of the people on your team will need to learn about sprites, unless you want to go for a 3d game.

3. I would lastly suggest you guys get a basic idea of the game first and one of you will need to learn C++ or maybe Visual Basic, those are the two languages I suggest for game design (moreover C++).

When you guys can master the languages and the sprites and get a story or basic game design document, then I'd say that you can begin the actual development stage.

If you want to be a game designer and you are just starting out, I suggest you try designing a board game or a card game first.

BTW, there is no reason you can't make a game using QBasic. Use that to make your first few games.

Well, there's Freebasic. A 32 bit(Windows/Linux and DOS) QBasic-like compiler and language. It does have some OOP constructs but almost any QB source would compile with no or little modifications.

I know it's good because I'm using it to make my games these days.