RPG and uniqueness

Started by
4 comments, last by jeroenb 17 years, 1 month ago
My team is currently in the design phase of a RPG. During the design one of the designers wants the game to unique with respect to features and ingame systems. So, I started wondering how uniqueness should influence the end result of the design. My main question thus is: what do typical RPG players expect of a RPG? Do they prefer the traditional combat system and a good underlying story / plotline? Or would they more like complete new systems for combat, etc?

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

?Github: https://github.com/crafter2d/crafter2d
Twitter: [twitter]crafter_2d[/twitter]

Advertisement

A couple ideas:

- Options to overcome conflicts without necessarily resorting to violence. A good combat engine is always welcome, but I don't always want to have to fight through three dozen bad guys. Give the ability to talk your way out, sneak around them, pickpocket a key for the locked door, etc.

- Combat that doesn't always have the end conditions where either they're dead or we're dead. Knock the party unconscious and take their valuables, throw them in prison, maim them, or whatever. Let the party surrender for a less serious result. Allow the party to try and intimidate the enemy into surrendering.

- Making decisions, and then having to live with the results. If the party angers someone (inadvertantly or otherwise), that person should try to exact their revenge. Blackmail the party, frame them for some crime, have them attacked when the party is engaged with someone else, etc.
A new combat system, if made well, would be refreshing. Not exaclty an entirely new system-choosing abilities, weapons, and armor and using them in combat is pretty fun-but how you use the system or how you fight could be changed for the better.
As for underlying story, you always got to have a good story if its an rpg. Something to hook you in.
____________________________________________________________________Through Chaos sprouts order...through order emerges chaos - If you destroy either then neither exists.-Xtlk
Here are some suggestions, some for atypical, some just for quality.
Don't set it in sci-fi or fantasy.
Don't have non-moving npcs.
Don't feel the need to have a typical inventory system.
Don't have the player come out of a coma/spawn suddenly from nowhere/randomly be in jail. (easy to say, harder when you actually think about it. somehow a back story needs to be built)
Don't have a focus on level grind (this may be more mmo, but rpgs have it too)

Do try new settings such as modern day or recent history (or what if history)
Do try to focus the gameplay on something other than killing.
Do try to make the npcs just as active as the pc (as much as possible anyway)
Do try innovative gui and inventory systems
Do try to give the player more substance as to why they are there (while still giving them wiggle room to make the character their own).
Do try different stat and skill systems.

Just some ideas, take them or leave them.
I want to edit systems too, files. Maybe you help! Files, systems, files, rpg? Thanks for the help. I like play games with system. Edit?
Thanks for all idea's. We were already thinking about a good combat system with some refreshing elements inside. It might indeed be a plausible idea to do subdual damage (unconsious, like D&D) and ways to sneak around battles and attack from behind (although this is not entirely new ofcourse :)).

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

?Github: https://github.com/crafter2d/crafter2d
Twitter: [twitter]crafter_2d[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement