is there any way I can make a game for Wii?

Started by
30 comments, last by exwonder 17 years ago
Quote:Original post by Kirl
How is one supposed to become an experienced developer if there is nothing to play around with...?

That's what I want to know.

Develop for the PC first.

Writing games on consoles is only a little different than writing on the PC. When you start out you will only be working on game play, which exactly the same as PC development anyway.

Finally, studios know that you can't get experience on the consoles unless you are already employed by a studio. That doesn't bother us in the interview. Show us that you can do the job, and we'll provide the (minimal) training needed to get you up to speed on the console.
Advertisement
The newer Wii kits are alright, but the older revisions with the wired remotes were dead awful (at least the one I worked with up until last week). And I agree the 3 USB cable connection rather than an ethernet port is painful (especially since my team doesn't have enough kits to go around so sharing is made painful by this).

As for why they're not available to hobbyists? Well mainly because as some people have already pointed out that it doesn't make financial sense to sell kits to indie devs. I work for a big company and we're still short on kits (although that might just have been a budget restriction until the end of the fiscal year). Even Xbox 360 has a billion steps to reach and papers to sign before they'll ever ship you a dev kit.

The sweet thing about Wii is that since the controller uses blue tooth it can be used on a bluetooth enabled device. I haven't tried myself but I've seen a few people do this.

Lastly, dev kits (for any platform) are extremely expensive, not to mention confidential. When the company is done using them they must be shipped back to the company (i.e. Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony). This is the part that would scare me away.

My suggestion would just be to develop something for PC (with or without the Wii remote) and try to get some backing. The hard part about that though is that most companies won't even listen to game ideas from outside sources (for legal reasons. They don't want to get sued if you pitch an idea, they come out with a similar one and you get mad).
Quote:Original post by Naku
On the plus side the actual devkit hardware itself does look nice

You kidding me? It looks like a $10 amp you'd get from a yard-sale!

I've had good experience with developing for Nintendo consoles in the past, they've always had rather sensible, clean APIs (Providing you like C). It's just their IDE integration is... well, non existant. Nintendo have always been a bit raw when it comes to development.

Although I haven't actually toyed with programming for the Wii just yet, just going off GB/GBA/SNES development, so I'm not exactly in a position of authority here.

Regarding closed platforms:

I'm suprised that no-one's mentioned piracy here yet, as it's probably one of the bigger reasons for keeping the systems closed off. When I was in the PSP homebrew community, what I saw was 70% bootloaders/dumpers/emulators/firmware hacks, 15% applications development, 10% tooling around and about 5% actual indie games development. Even then, only about a pitiful 0.5% of the games that people started even made it to respectable level, and most were tetris/lumines/bust-a-move clones.

NOTE: If this isn't indicative of other homebrew communities such as the XBox or Playstation crowds, let me know. The GBC/GBA communities I was involved with were a lot better, with a lot more actual games development going on, but I think this was probably because due to Nintendos games-centric hardware design. There wasn't really that much you could do on the gameboy platforms other than make games.

Opening up the platform would also be opening up the doors to pirates. While the Wii/360/PS3 will all be hacked and get a generous amount of piracy regardless of the fact that they're closed platforms, these hacks will generally be unstable and/or inpermenant due to firmware upgrades, which will turn a lot of people away from living solely off pirated games collections. Open it up, and you're going to have to answer to the large development community when you start blocking out features to beef up the security, as well as giving the hackers a roadmap to exploiting your system.

Running through a virtual system or an interpreted/scripted language would probably diffuse if not destroy these concerns, but why bother for something that will take so much time and money to develop and support for the miniscule amount of decent games you'll get out of it? Microsoft already had the foundations and resources they needed for doing this with XNA on the 360, as well as the motivation with the whole Games For Windows line in an attempt to unify XBox and PC development. Sony and Nintendo, on the other hand, don't have a solid base and would have to build this stuff from the ground up, and they'll experience very little benefit from doing so.

Like a lot of people have said earlier, if you want to program games for a living, do it on the PC first. Chances are you won't get on an engine team the first time you enter the industry, so you'll have very, very little to do with the hardware specific implementations, if anything at all.

If you just want the console experience, then just get a bluetooth adapter and use your Wii controller on your PC. Drag it out into your living room and hook it up to the TV if you like. If that doesn't satiate you, then just jump into a homebrew comminity and start doing some real console development, but I'm telling you now, you probably won't learn much more than you would doing a PC game. I worked on learning the PSP inside-out just before I got my most recent job, and I only learned 2 things that helped me at all during my time of actual PSP development:

- Colors are stored as BGRA instead of RGBA
- It has the ability to use a light source to generate texture coordinates (Shade mapping, I believe they called it).

Both of which were plain-as-day in the official documentation. The rest I already knew about from PC development.
Lots of universitys are starting to get access to Dev Kits so it could help if you do a course at such an institutuion. Try developing for the PC or if you really really have to develop for a console try something like the GP2X or writing homebrew for a machine that already has a homebrew scene in full swing such as the dreamcast, DS, PSP or the XBOX.
The Wii's tool chain is aweful, your not missing much, honestly.

It's not that bad relative to what has been out there in the past.
Quote:There's no Visual Studio integration so you're left with Code Warrior and Cygwin command prompts. :(

There is a plugin for VC7. We use it. It's in the "Integration" folder under CW_RVL and has installation instructions in the developer notes documentation. There are many other third-party tools for CodeWarrior integration with Visual Studio, which when used together, can make debugging very easy.
Quote:On the plus side the actual devkit hardware itself does look nice and the swirly light on the front is kind of hypnotic but ti would have been nice to have it networked like every other devkit I've used in the last 3 years rather than using a mass of USB cables. Really, it was way too many wires ><.

I dislike the USB cables as well, especially since sometimes one of the connections isn't recognized when plugged in to one USB slot but then recognized when put into another. ... But that's a different topic.

I don't find that the tool chain is that bad. I just wish that the corporate intellectual property agreements would let me work on my own personal Wii games on the side.
The plugin says it is "CodeWarrior for GAMECUBE Visual Studio .NET Integration" in case you were wondering. :-)
Quote:Original post by PlayfulPuppy
On the plus side the actual devkit hardware itself does look nice

I've had good experience with developing for Nintendo consoles in the past, they've always had rather sensible, clean APIs (Providing you like C). It's just their IDE integration is... well, non existant. Nintendo have always been a bit raw when it comes to development.

I like it, its smooth and shiny. Much nicer than the ugly blue box of a DS Dev-kit that looks like it should be in some industrial factory.

I haven't needed to work directly with the API myself yet, I can barly get my hands on the dev-kit before someone else in the company needs it but the documentation for it is aweful, same goes for the DS, it looks like it was created with one of those automatic documenting programs.

Quote:There is a plugin for VC7. We use it. It's in the "Integration" folder under CW_RVL and has installation instructions in the developer notes documentation. There are many other third-party tools for CodeWarrior integration with Visual Studio, which when used together, can make debugging very easy.

Do you have to buy that seperatly? I see it in the freescale site but not Wario World and it isn't already installed in the CW_RVL directory.
APE

I like it, its smooth and shiny. Much nicer than the ugly blue box of a DS Dev-kit that looks like it should be in some industrial factory.

Shiny? Maybe we've got different versions of the kit, because ours is a metal, matte black thing that looks like a cheap stereo amp:

(Horrible image, was the best I could find)

However, looking through Google Image Search, looks like there are other ones that look closer to the actual Wii.

Shiny? Maybe we've got different versions of the kit, because ours is a metal, matte black thing that looks like a cheap stereo amp:

(Horrible image, was the best I could find)

However, looking through Google Image Search, looks like there are other ones that look closer to the actual Wii.

No that's the one I have. Ok, so perhaps not very shiny, just metalic. But it still looks good, especially when compaired with the Huge PS2 kit, the ugly blue NDS devkit, or the brick of an XBox devkit I have.

Before you say anything, I know the XBox devkit is the size of a regular XBox but my point still stands.

I guess those other images on google are of the newer kits the AP mentioned.
APE
I'm just interested in toying around with this new hardware, trying to think up something new. It wasn't likely I would ever actually buy a kit anyway.

I'll guess I'll settle for using the wii-mote on PC, and meaby make a few online Flash games for Wii. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement