is there any way I can make a game for Wii?

Started by
30 comments, last by exwonder 17 years ago
I've heard you need to have an experienced company in order to get some dev kit from Nintendo in order to be able to develop for Wii. Is that true? I do not really understand this policy. I'm an individual with some experience developing very simple games for PC and I thought about buying Wii with the sole intention of developing some simple game for my friends that takes use of its controller. Are the doors to Wii development closed to amateurs like me?
Advertisement
Make a flash game compilant with Opera 7. AFAIK, that's the only way so far. Or find a GC emulator and make a game through that.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

You can buy a Wii remote, buy a bluetooth USB connector, and set up a simple infrared LED array to use the wiimote on your PC. Other than that, and the flash game idea mentioned above, I'm not sure what you could do. There is one (good) wii mod chip on the market right now, the Cyclowiz, but I'm not sure if that would help you. Convincing Nintendo to give you a developer's kit is extremely difficult.
when you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Quote:Original post by oscinis
You can buy a Wii remote, buy a bluetooth USB connector, and set up a simple infrared LED array to use the wiimote on your PC. Other than that, and the flash game idea mentioned above, I'm not sure what you could do. There is one (good) wii mod chip on the market right now, the Cyclowiz, but I'm not sure if that would help you. Convincing Nintendo to give you a developer's kit is extremely difficult.
And a Wii devkit is $2000. Ours is supposed to be arriving soon - whee! (Or wii!) [smile]
How is one supposed to become an experienced developer if there is nothing to play around with...?

That's what I want to know.
It seems like its too much hacking for a noob like me.
I can't really understand this obscurity. I do not generally buy games that aren't moddable and I'll stay away from closed platforms too.

But what really pisses me off: I recently purchased this high end racing wheel GP25 from Logitech and I went to their site for some info/samples on how to programm this wheel - the thing is they want give it to you unless you are some big, experienced company. Can somebody tell me why is this so? Why can't they just put it on their site freely available for anybody who is interested?
I guess they don't like people hacking their hardware...
well, they should know that obscurity gives the least security
You seem shocked, you shouldn't be. Nintendo and any other console manufacturer ONLY wants quality games associated with their consoles. It would be bad publicity if Average Joe saw low quality hobby games running on their machines. The purpose of any business is to make money, so far they are probably making more money by keeping crappy games off the market rather than pleasing a minority of developers. This might change in the future though with the current trend of high-level languages and powerful frameworks increasing the number of potential game developers. As you probably know Microsoft provides some possibilities for hobbiest to create freeware games for the xbox 360, but I'm guessing that's as far as anyone will go for now.

EDIT: typo
Best regards, Omid
Quote:Original post by therealremi
But what really pisses me off: I recently purchased this high end racing wheel GP25 from Logitech and I went to their site for some info/samples on how to programm this wheel - the thing is they want give it to you unless you are some big, experienced company. Can somebody tell me why is this so? Why can't they just put it on their site freely available for anybody who is interested?
Isn't it a standard DirectInput device? If that's the case, you should be able to access everything you need through DirectInput.

Quote:Original post by Omid Ghavami
You seem shocked, you shouldn't be. Nintendo and any other console manufacturer ONLY wants quality games associated with their consoles. It would be bad publicity if Average Joe saw low quality hobby games running on their machines. The purpose of any business is to make money, so far they are probably making more money by keeping crappy games off the market rather than pleasing a minority of developers. This might change in the future though with the current trend of high-level languages and powerful frameworks increasing the number of potential game developers. As you probably know Microsoft provides some possibilities for hobbiest to create freeware games for the xbox 360, but I'm guessing that's as far as anyone will go for now.
Another thing to remember is that console manufacturers actually make a loss on making consoles (I think the Wii is an exception?), they make the money back by taking a percentage of profits from games that are produced. If a hobby programmer goes and makes a game, then they're not going to be giving Nintendo money for it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement