int pointer address

Started by
11 comments, last by LessBread 17 years, 1 month ago
If I were to write something like this it would compile and work just fine:

char * var1 = "Hello";

So why can't I do something like this?:

__int32 * var2 = &(const_cast<__int32>(0x02i32));

I tried and I get the error: 'const_cast' : cannot convert from 'const __int32' to '__int32'-- Conversion is a valid standard conversion, which can be performed implicitly or by use of static_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast It says it can't do it because it's implicit? What? Does anyone know how to get the address of an inline constant?
"It compiles! Ship it!"
Advertisement
I don't believe you can. But more importantly, why would you want to? Assign the value to a variable and make all the pointers you need.
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Quote:Original post by likeafox
Does anyone know how to get the address of an inline constant?

I could be wrong, but isn't the point of something being *inline* so that the compiler sticks it directly into the code that uses it. So it does not even have an address at all. Why would you want to do this?
Quote:Original post by Simian Man
I could be wrong, but isn't the point of something being *inline* so that the compiler sticks it directly into the code that uses it. So it does not even have an address at all. Why would you want to do this?

I figured since it was doable with strings it would certainly be doable with integers. Even if it's nested in a machine instruction, it's going to be on the stack somewhere inside the function code--

The desire to use an inline constart like this has come up more than once for me...
In this case I'm calling CreateThread which takes a void pointer parameter, for which I want to pass in an int, but I'd look a lot tidier to me if I didn't have to break it into multiple lines to start declaring variables. But I guess I'll have to if there's no way of avoiding it.
"It compiles! Ship it!"
pointer to a string literal

pointer to an integer constant

Because string literals have to be stored in memory as data somewhere and integers don't. Integer constants are typically hard-coded into the instruction stream. It may also have something to do with the fact that FORTRAN did let you do stuff sort of like that and it wasn't fun when somebody went and changed the value of 5.

Got to agree with the others, it's kind of wierd that want you want to do that in the first place.
-Mike
The difference is that the value "hello" is not a string at all in a C++ program, but a pointer to the area in memory where the compiler put the string. With integers, the compiler puts them directly into the instructions - it does not store them on the stack or anywhere.

<edit>Beaten twice in one thread! [rolleyes]
__int32 var1 = 0x02;
__int32 * var2 = &var1
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I think this is what you want.

__int32 * var2;
*((__int32*)(&var2))= 0x02i32;

Of course, if you try to use var2 as a pointer, it will screw up. But it now contains that value. I had to do something similar to this once in a very memory tight algorithm, before I learned about unions. This is possibly the ugliest single line you can use in valid C or C++ :)
I know enough about OpenGL and game programming in general to be good at it, but not enough to always be very helpful, so I apoligize if I suggest something stupid.
That would make the pointer point to the address 0x00000002. Accessing that address would probably throw an exception.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
     char * var1 = "Hello"; 
__int32 * var2 = &(const_cast<__int32>(0x02i32));
The first case is different from the second case. "Hello" is an array, which converts to a pointer automatically. It's as simple as that. BTW, some compilers don't generate an error due to const mismatch in the first case because of the all the code that would no longer compile.

Your error is due to using const_cast incorrectly. This code:
    	__int32 * var2 = &(0x02i32);
generates this error in VS 2005:
error C2101: '&' on constant
Does anyone know how to get the address of an inline constant?
Considering that it is not stored in memory, how could it have an address?
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement