Sign in to follow this  

Making a 2d racing game, but how?

This topic is 3931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there.. Long time reader, first time poster here :) Anyhoo.. I'm not all that new to programming, but very new to game programming and since I want to become a game programmer, well I joined this forum ;) I want to make my own little racing game in 2D, something in the line of Micromachines. I've previously made a little textbased adventure game in C++ and then in school we made a Blackjack game in C#. I'm planning on making it in C#, but C++ will do if thats recommended. My problem is that I'm kinda lost here and simply dont know where to go from here.. :/ I'm thinking that what I need is: 1. Make some sort of grid that is the game-world 2. Make some squares in the grid drivable and some not 3. Make a car that can drive on drivable squares and not on the non-drivable squares 4. Keep tweaking, tuning and adding features 5. Sell the game and become a gazillionaire 6. Realise point 5. is unrealistic and quit game programming (in case someone didnt notice only point 1-4 were serious ;)) So back to the main point.. Where do I go from here, what do I need to get started? Thanks in advance

I'd suggest that a good place to start would be getting a square to draw on the screen. It's kind of like a graphics "hello world" program. That will give you some kind of reference point.

I'm not sure if the SDL library works in C# but that's pretty much the most commonly recommended graphics API starting point.

-me

Thanks for the reply.. :)

I've been looking into some directX (although I'll be switching to OpenGL). I've made a little blue screen with a triangle of vertices so I'm getting there.. ;)

I'm also wondering if anyone could give a good tip on how to make this grid layout? How would you make a 2d? I simply have no idea how to begin..

If you want just 2D, going for directX may be too much hassle. Try SDL or, heck, even basic windows GDI.

I am not hugely experience in the game design area, but I'd recommend firt figuring out exactly how you want your game to work, what you want the features to bet etc. Then you have a solid base for figuring out what elements you need to code in (i.e. how the world needs to be structured, object-world collision, object-object collision, power ups, camera etc.) Once you know all the elements you can figure out how to best implement them and make them work together.

Good luck!

Yeah I thought DirectX wouldnt be necessary, but hey might aswell get used to it ;)

But since I cant even get started I probably should start out more simple..

This topic is 3931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.