[.net] how do I create this kind of gui in .net?

Started by
4 comments, last by NeoJigglypuff 17 years, 1 month ago
pic: (I used DgeeMe here as a model) Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Here, the sub-windowforms are localized in the main form. In Java, I can use a JDesktopPane object. How about in .net? Thanks for replies.
Advertisement
Shouldn't you be able to simply create the subforms and add them as children of the main form?

The forms designer toolbox doesn't have it as an option, but I don't see why you couldn't define another form then simply add it to the parent form...

I haven't tried it or anything so I may be completely wrong.

I think I remember once reading about how to do this in a discussion about how to create a document container (like how MS Word has multiple documents inside it)...
Jared "EagleEye" Mark
This type of application is called a MDI Application, a web search for that term brings up loads of tutorials, but basically your container form needs its IsMDIContainer property set, and it needs to set itself as the child form's parent (via their MdiParent property).

C# Physics Engine Tutorials: www.taumuon.co.uk/jabuka/
It's called a Multiple Document Interface (MDI). Here's the first hit on google (a tutorial).
Ahh yes, I had forgotten the term... I sorta figured that windows forms couldn't accept another windows form as a child by default... but that MDI form property seems to be the ticket.

Sometimes all it takes is being pointed in the right direction, because you don't know the terms or acronyms that apply to your specific need. :)
Jared "EagleEye" Mark
Thanks a lot! It's true, I don't really know the proper terms that's why I cannot do a search on my own. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement