Looking for program

Started by
2 comments, last by Ternick 17 years, 1 month ago
First I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm looking for a program to use on building computers with. I would like one I can list parts, keep track of customers' orders, keep track of inventory, and make sure the parts that they want in the computer are compaible. I am not a programmer, so don't know were to start making this program my self if I can't find it. If anyone can point me in the right direction on were to locate, or how to make one/get one made for decent cost, please help
When the lighter breads can't Frag, go Dark Side Computers.
Advertisement
The compatibility list might be a problem.

If it only means tracking basic compatiblity (proper graphics port) then it might be doable to some extent.

But for true compatibility it becomes impossible.

Take for example memory slots and RAM. Many motherboards expand support for different/larger memory types through BIOS upgrades. And then, there are restrictions as to which type of RAM goes into which slot, and why in certain configurations you need to place specific (one-sided or double-sided) DIMMs into specific slots.

Then, there's undocumented incompatibilities, where some hardware simply doesn't work together, or shows various problems which are too difficult to resolve, and it's simpler to just exchange the hardware.

Lastly, there's driver issues. While hardware may work together, it turns out that drivers conflict or some combinations simply won't work together.

My point here being, I'd be very surprised if any semi-uptodate automated database existed for compatibility notes that would have any real-world use. I believe it were possible to keep such system updated locally for your own purposes using the manuals from the parts you use, but even then it would require a lot of administration to keep it up-to-date.

Moved to For Beginners.
Your right, a full check system like is would be near to never made. Im looking for one that will only list parts that are made for the slots on a system (i.e. you can't click on an Intel prossy for an AMD system, or an PCI card for an AGP system).
When the lighter breads can't Frag, go Dark Side Computers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement