Sign in to follow this  
ArchangelMorph

TTS technology..

I've done a quick search online but couldn't find anything which is suitable for what I want to do.. Basically I'm looking for a royalty-free/open-source fast TTS (Text-To-Speech) SDK/API which I could use for a game.. Obviously it needs to provide real-time functionality and hopefully with a low overhead.. I noticed NeoSpeech have a great product which sounds like it would work wonders but since i'm not a company I don't have the money to deal with the license fees.. If anyone know's of something like this then it would be VERY much appreciated.. (Ola)Dotun Rominiyi

Have you considered using something like the Soundex or Metaphone algorithms to generate speech trees and then use phonemes?

I dunno how well it'd work, but it'd certainly be free.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I thought about it.. But surely this would not ber very practical..

I'm not looking to build my own TTS engine since I figure it would be quite an in depth, labourious task and without any form of practical knowledge or experience in digital audio sampling I really don't know how i'd put together to sounds for it..

I really want something which I can pick up and put into a game engine and get it working with minimal hassle (i.e. pass text to it and output sounds in real-time..)

I'm not *too* fussed about performance since i'd rater get something functional and then see how it can be optimised later (possibly re-writing the TTS engine once i'm more familiar with it..)

Thankyou for the suggestion though..

I thought about it.. But surely this would not ber very practical..

I'm not looking to build my own TTS engine since I figure it would be quite an in depth, labourious task and without any form of practical knowledge or experience in digital audio sampling I really don't know how i'd put together to sounds for it..

I really want something which I can pick up and put into a game engine and get it working with minimal hassle (i.e. pass text to it and output sounds in real-time..)

I'm not *too* fussed about performance since i'd rater get something functional and then see how it can be optimised later (possibly re-writing the TTS engine once i'm more familiar with it..)

Thankyou for the suggestion though..

Your post prompted me to do some searching of my own since this is something I have also been wanting to add to a project "sometime in the future". I came to the conclusion that the CMU Speech Group's Festival and related items are probably the best bet. Festival is free and open-source. The downside for us Windows devs is it is designed for *nix. I don't know how much modification will be required to get it working on Windows, but I'm going to give it a try tonight. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Thanks for the replies!

I was actually snooping around microsoft's site and came across the SAPI almost accidentally..

after installing and snooping through the docs it looks like it should be able to exactly what i'm looking for.. However i'm a bit concerned about the performance and exactly how well it will work for a real-time app but it certainly has all the features I'm looking for..

I'm currently trying it out now NEways so i'll see very soon how practical it will be for real-time apps..