MMO + RTS Hybrid

Started by
10 comments, last by Xtlk 17 years, 1 month ago
Basically the idea is having a world that is void of any building structures or technology, but the players can have characters that can build buildings, vehicles, tools, weapons out of resources that are present in the world. So every time you level up it would be a bit like moving up an age in age of empires for example. You could have different crafts, building, weapon making, smithing, lumber jacking, mining, most of the same stuff as in WoW but you can make buildings and such. So low level players would build straw huts, and higher levels could build castles. Also the bigger the structure the longer it will take even with an appropriate skill and would require additional labor. I this way an MMO could even rely on having the amount of NPCs possible, just having a few trainers for different trades. And of it wouldn't really be an RTS game without someone commanding, so an idea would be that if you party is greater than a set number than the highest ranking player can control your platoon of players, of course you can defect from the formation and still be on the team, but an MMO with huge platoons of real players would be fantastic.
Advertisement
I really like this idea. And it is already under way.

http://www.mmorts.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=2&page=1&POSTNUKESID=db19bb225cc14d3fced2e1ec21d7a222

The idea you are suggesting though, is a MMORPG with RTS elements, am i right?
Yes but you would control only one unit at a time!!

The idea came from wanting a building trade in WoW, so everything that can be made like gates, fences, houses, huts, roads, boats, planes, cars, tanks. Can be made.

But it would also maintain the slow pace of a game like WoW whereby you would have to be a very high level to make the coolest gear.
But I would like to keep the RPG element, so it would be an MMORPG with RTS elements and not the other way round.

So you can build whatever, but you would need to have some teamwork involved just imagine what it would be alike in an RTS where each unit has a mind of its own.

Digg it! http://digg.com/gaming_news/MMO_RTS_Hybrid
Have you tried the game called Savage ? http://www.s2games.com/savage/

Its a multiplayer game, where there is 1 commander, and the other team members are the soldiers/builders and so on. Its a bit more FPS minded, but i think you would like it, and get an idea of how to implement these features to a MMORPG.
This sounds very much like A Tale in the Desert to me.
Quote:Original post by Sijmen
This sounds very much like A Tale in the Desert to me.

Just that this game, lacks commanding features... Only thing you can do in ATID is to create houses, and some other sandbox features.
The Main feature is still building stuff, I'm a WoW player so I would love to make buildings and raze buildings etc.. It would be fun.

It would be a great expansion pack.

I've also looking into whether that feature could be added the text MUDs as it would be simpler for an amateur team to develop.
Sounds like a good idea. Just a couple questions and suggestions.
-For creating larger and more sophisticated buildings do you rely on npc's for additional labor or other players? Sadly, other players aren't always as helpful as they should be in MMORPG
-Is this set just in one large city or will there be multiple cities?
If so I think it would be cool to find a way to implement trade between cities.
-A more defined version of the guild system would be fun in a game like this.
Well thats all. Good luck.
____________________________________________________________________Through Chaos sprouts order...through order emerges chaos - If you destroy either then neither exists.-Xtlk
It would be other players joining in, or you could pay a certain amount of silver to npcs to help build with you.

But in building a keep for example you would need Stoneworking 500 for example, but you labourers would only need a skill of 5 so they would level up also while helping you out, and they would probably get their strength increased.

So it would be beneficial for people to help each other out.

The only little problem is people of the same level as you not helping you out (maybe shared ownership could be attained thru partying)

You could also make ownerless builds like fances and gate along roads, to help your faction and you would get reputation points for that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement