Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spaceJockey123

Textures, heightmaps models (basic 3d stuff)

This topic is 4207 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

What is the easiest way to create a texture? I tried opening a texture to edit in Paint but it wouldn't open. I'm using this for an outside terrain. How do you create heightmaps? In theory I understand how they work and I've seen an image of one but I'm not sure how to make one myself. Do you just use a lot of numbers for the height of each vertice or do you use special graphics tools. Also I want to make some 3d models. I understand that you can do this in 3D Studio Max, Maya, Blender but is there some sort of universal format for 3d models. I can only use Blender. Is there another modelling package I'm not aware of that's really easy to learn? Blender is free but bloody difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Quote:
What is the easiest way to create a texture? I tried opening a texture to edit in Paint but it wouldn't open. I'm using this for an outside terrain.


Well I normally use photoshop but any paint package will do.

Quote:
How do you create heightmaps? In theory I understand how they work and I've seen an image of one but I'm not sure how to make one myself. Do you just use a lot of numbers for the height of each vertice or do you use special graphics tools.


You can create a heightmap my creating a greyscale image and using the values in the image as the height of the points in your mesh. This can be done using any paint package.

Quote:
Also I want to make some 3d models. I understand that you can do this in 3D Studio Max, Maya, Blender but is there some sort of universal format for 3d models. I can only use Blender. Is there another modelling package I'm not aware of that's really easy to learn? Blender is free but bloody difficult.


You can get a free version of Maya in the Personal Learning Edition (PLE) from their website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks I'll give those a try.

Did you mean Microsoft Photoshop, Adobe photoshop, or anything else in particular?

Also, does the heightmap need to be of a particular size?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I recommend easier software: Fireworks for painting, and Wings 3D for modelling. The format widely used is .3ds i think. And .x of course in the case of directX stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Go to the NeHe section of gamedev and check out the (OpenGL) tutorials on these things. A good way to create heightmaps for import into your program is to use Gimp and its internal scripts to generate something like a perlin noise or plasma image, soften it a little with some blurs (or just play around with it). These will generate interesting heightmaps that can be used with the NeHe code.

hth
F451

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ok I tried Wings 3D and Maya Personal Edition but only problem is, they don't seem to be able to open S3D files and I actually need it to be able to do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!