Textures, heightmaps models (basic 3d stuff)

Started by
5 comments, last by spaceJockey123 17 years, 1 month ago
What is the easiest way to create a texture? I tried opening a texture to edit in Paint but it wouldn't open. I'm using this for an outside terrain. How do you create heightmaps? In theory I understand how they work and I've seen an image of one but I'm not sure how to make one myself. Do you just use a lot of numbers for the height of each vertice or do you use special graphics tools. Also I want to make some 3d models. I understand that you can do this in 3D Studio Max, Maya, Blender but is there some sort of universal format for 3d models. I can only use Blender. Is there another modelling package I'm not aware of that's really easy to learn? Blender is free but bloody difficult.
Advertisement
Quote:What is the easiest way to create a texture? I tried opening a texture to edit in Paint but it wouldn't open. I'm using this for an outside terrain.

Well I normally use photoshop but any paint package will do.

Quote:How do you create heightmaps? In theory I understand how they work and I've seen an image of one but I'm not sure how to make one myself. Do you just use a lot of numbers for the height of each vertice or do you use special graphics tools.

You can create a heightmap my creating a greyscale image and using the values in the image as the height of the points in your mesh. This can be done using any paint package.

Quote:Also I want to make some 3d models. I understand that you can do this in 3D Studio Max, Maya, Blender but is there some sort of universal format for 3d models. I can only use Blender. Is there another modelling package I'm not aware of that's really easy to learn? Blender is free but bloody difficult.

You can get a free version of Maya in the Personal Learning Edition (PLE) from their website.
Thanks I'll give those a try.

Did you mean Microsoft Photoshop, Adobe photoshop, or anything else in particular?

Also, does the heightmap need to be of a particular size?
adobe photoshop
I recommend easier software: Fireworks for painting, and Wings 3D for modelling. The format widely used is .3ds i think. And .x of course in the case of directX stuff.
-----------------------------------"After you finish the first 90% of a project, you have to finish the other 90%." - Michael Abrashstickman.hu <=my game (please tell me your opinion about it)
Go to the NeHe section of gamedev and check out the (OpenGL) tutorials on these things. A good way to create heightmaps for import into your program is to use Gimp and its internal scripts to generate something like a perlin noise or plasma image, soften it a little with some blurs (or just play around with it). These will generate interesting heightmaps that can be used with the NeHe code.

hth
F451
ok I tried Wings 3D and Maya Personal Edition but only problem is, they don't seem to be able to open S3D files and I actually need it to be able to do this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement