Sign in to follow this  

darkBASIC

This topic is 3932 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been looking through countless threads and what not for people with little to no experience in programming, not just in games but in general and have found that darkBASIC seems like the program would be a nice choice to start with for entry level game programming. I know to program things takes lots of dedication and hard work and I'm full of it. Could i possibly get some feedback with this particular program? Is there an alternative program that could maybe benifit more for me allowing me to do more but have the kind of simplicity that darkBasic has? Thank you very much!

This is not really an answer to your question, neither is it explicitly directed at you. Just a common beginner mistake (in my opinion a mistake, otherwise might not agree).

I think that the best way to get started with game programming is to first realize that you're not going to be creating any "real" games for another few years (if even then). So your first priority should be to learn, not to actually create games. Which in turn means that the limitations of DarkBasic should be irrelevant for you since your own limitations are currently far greater. You are interested in learning programming and understanding the concepts behind game development, not to create a kick ass commercial game in DarkBasic.

Quote:
Original post by Omid Ghavami
This is not really an answer to your question, neither is it explicitly directed at you. Just a common beginner mistake (in my opinion a mistake, otherwise might not agree).

I think that the best way to get started with game programming is to first realize that you're not going to be creating any "real" games for another few years (if even then). So your first priority should be to learn, not to actually create games. Which in turn means that the limitations of DarkBasic should be irrelevant for you since your own limitations are currently far greater. You are interested in learning programming and understanding the concepts behind game development, not to create a kick ass commercial game in DarkBasic.

Correct, and i have heard that darkBasic might be a nice place to start, i am wanting to pick this up as sort of a hobby and maybe do something more with in at a later time

I have also heard that Python might be a nice language to learn

This topic is 3932 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.