Sign in to follow this  
AshleysBrain

C++ templates and part specialization

I'm writing my own CArchive-style class which I want to overload the << operators to write various types to a binary memory space in my own format, eg:
myclass& operator<<(int x)
{
	extend(sizeof(int)); // make sure enough room to store
	*((int*)&(data[datasize])) = x; // write the data
	datasize += sizeof(int); // move cursor along
	return *this; // for chaining
}
eg. ar << 5 << 6. Now, if I use a template like so, it saves me writing out every version of this function from unsigned/signed char, short, int, long, __int64, etc.:
template<typename T>
myclass& operator<<(const T& x)
{
	extend(sizeof(T)); // make sure enough room to store
	*((T*)&(data[datasize])) = x; // write the data
	datasize += sizeof(T); // move cursor along
	return *this; // for chaining
}
The problem is if you then do ar << myCString it gets all messed up, with a binary copy of the bits of the CString class, not the string held. I can use a specialization to overcome this specifically for CString, but it makes it more error-prone as it will still happily accept pointers, references, and other user-made classes without any regard for any pointed-to data. Do C++ templates provide a way to say a template for a certain group of types? Like char to __int64s? I've vaguely heard of type traits before, is this the kind of thing they're useful for? Is the best way simply to copy+paste my function multiple times for all the types possible?

This is exactly what type-traits is for. The syntax is hideous, but it'll do exactly what you want. This page will get you up to speed.