Sign in to follow this  
Joran

A Unknown Problem in the Heap

I have a question i cant seem to solve it, i am doing some old time programming and creating my windows (screens) through API. I am using the Visual Studio 2005 but i am not programming .net. I always get the error that my heap is corrupted. I have a engine class, a screen class but also a screencontroller class. The screencontroller class contains a basic static wndclassex and is registers only once, upon destruction it unregister my window. Problem is the following i have a static function called register_screen this is to track how many windows are currently open. When i try to create a single linked list i get the follow error that my heap is corrupt Code looks like this because i delete everything just for testing ----------------------------------------------------------------- //GETS CALLED 2 TIMES bool scrcontroller::register_screen() { int *p p = new int; //SECOND TIME CRASH return false; } This could be normal because you would think that i forgot to delete my p after i was done. Problem is also when i do this. struct wnd_listitem { wnd_listitem * next; }; static wnd_listitem * wnd_list; //This is how it is declared in the header file wnd_listitem * scrcontroller :: wnd_list = NULL; // This is declared in cpp file bool scrcontroller::register_screen() //STATIC FUNCTION { if(wnd_list) { wnd_list->next = new wnd_listitem;//ERROR HEAP CORRUPTED AFTER 2de ENTRY } else { wnd_list = new wnd_listitem; //SUCCESS NO PROBLEMS 1st Time } return false; }

Something in your code somewhere is writing past the end of an array, or writing to a pointer after it's been deleted. I'd recommend getting a memory manager like Fluid Studios' mmgr.

Quote:
Original post by Joran
I have a question i cant seem to solve it, i am doing some old time programming and creating my windows (screens) through API. I am using the Visual Studio 2005 but i am not programming .net. I always get the error that my heap is corrupted.

If you're running in debug mode, can you get a call stack? If so, what does the stack look like? Is it failing during the allocation, or at some point further down the road?

Quote:
Original post by Joran
//GETS CALLED 2 TIMES
bool scrcontroller::register_screen()
{

int *p
p = new int; //SECOND TIME CRASH

return false;
}

At the very least, this is a memory leak as you're not storing p anywhere.

Quote:
Original post by Joran
This could be normal because you would think that i forgot to delete my p after
i was done. Problem is also when i do this.

If you're deleting it at the end of the call, why not just make it a local and not a pointer?

Quote:
Original post by Joran
static wnd_listitem * wnd_list; //This is how it is declared in the header file
wnd_listitem * scrcontroller :: wnd_list = NULL; // This is declared in cpp file

bool scrcontroller::register_screen() //STATIC FUNCTION
{
if(wnd_list)
{
wnd_list->next = new wnd_listitem;//ERROR HEAP CORRUPTED AFTER 2de ENTRY
}
else
{
wnd_list = new wnd_listitem; //SUCCESS NO PROBLEMS 1st Time
}

return false;

}

Have you considered using the STL linked list instead? If you're concerned about template bloat, you could wrap it inside of a custom class so that STL was only used internally....

I only ask because there's a pretty serious bug/leak in the code above. As written, the code will only ever create a list of two items - the initial wnd_list pointer and its next element. Each time you add a new item, you're just overwriting the old next pointer, creating a link *and* making the old item inaccessible (assuming, that is, that you haven't stored a pointer to it elsewhere).

Are you setting the next pointer to null on construction of a new wnd_listitem?