Different SDK Version Performance

Started by
2 comments, last by Dtag 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi up to now I was using the August 2005 SDK for my project. In some test scene I got got around 120 fps. Now I switched to the new February 07 SDK and Iam seeing a drop to around 85 fps. Notice I compile the _exact same_ project twice, with the only difference being the include/library settings of my IDE. Naturally DX is set to Retail versions in the Control Panel with zero debug output. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Could be 1000 things. The only way to tell is to profile your code and see what's using the extra time.

-me
I doubt that should be happening. Are you using any deprecated features?
I did profile end its the EndScene call that is taking like 3 ms longer in the new SDK and if you do the math that pretty much explains the fps drop. But what am I supposed to do about it?

Deprecated Features? I doubt so... Im just using regular textures, CG shaders and rendertextures created with D3DXCreateRenderToSurface. Nothing that I'd consider deprecated ;)

Edit: Uhmm wait I just found out that my text rendering ( just used for things like fps etc... ) was hiding inside a function that wraps the EndScene call. When commenting that part out the FPS is ok again. Iam using D3DXCreateFont and ->DrawTextA ... has anything been changed about the behaviour of these with the new SDK releases?

[Edited by - Dtag on March 9, 2007 4:29:45 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement